• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 5000 RX and TX audio choppy when using DPL tone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am noticing on my XTS 5000 that the RX and TX audio is choppy when channels are programmed with a DPL tone. I have tried changing the "Ultra Narrow Intermediate Freq Filter" from 5.76 kHz to 7.8 kHz and vice versa, the problem is still there. Just wondering what I should do next to resolve this problem.

prcguy

What kind of repeater and is it aligned properly? I've seen some community tone panels used with various radios as repeaters and the DPL is terrible with little resemblance to a square wave. Are other people having trouble with DPL on the same repeater?

I am noticing on my XTS 5000 that the RX and TX audio is choppy when channels are programmed with a DPL tone. I have tried changing the "Ultra Narrow Intermediate Freq Filter" from 5.76 kHz to 7.8 kHz and vice versa, the problem is still there. Just wondering what I should do next to resolve this problem.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Check the radio's alignment. Ideally it should be done annually with alignments being performed as needed (3-5 years is fairly typical for actually needing an alignment).

What kind of repeater and is it aligned properly? I've seen some community tone panels used with various radios as repeaters and the DPL is terrible with little resemblance to a square wave. Are other people having trouble with DPL on the same repeater?

Could it be a wideband issue, in CPS, the "Tx opt Transmit dev" is at 5kHz, should I maybe set it to 4.0 or 2.5?

prcguy

Are you using it for amateur service WB or commercial/public service NB? Your settings in CPS should match the parameters for the repeater you are using. For amateur program for 5KHz and for a commercial/public service narrow band system select 2.5 or have someone affiliated with that system who knows what they are doing program the radio for you.

I was originally speaking of the repeater you are using the radio with as possibly having distorted DPL but for anything else you would have to check the XTS5000 on a service monitor and as others have suggested maybe its in need of an alignment.

Could it be a wideband issue, in CPS, the "Tx opt Transmit dev" is at 5kHz, should I maybe set it to 4.0 or 2.5?

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
To me, this sounds like it actually could be the opposite.
Are you using it for amateur service WB or commercial/public service NB? Your settings in CPS should match the parameters for the repeater you are using.
I concur. In my experience with my XTS5000, when it is receiving a signal that is of higher deviation than the bandwidth is set for, the audio gets realllyyyy yucky and can even cut in and out. This could be what you are describing. However, in my case, this would happen regardless of PL settings, but sometimes MDC DOS mute could exacerbate the issue (based on my non-scientific trial and error observations).

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The XTS series are finicky about PL/DPL decode and RX bandwidth/passband. First step is a proper alignment. I've had XTS/XTLs that were way off in the RX department and this caused issues as described. Other factors include old/outdated HOST/DSP versions. These radios are completely software driven as far as tuning, and ancient HOST/DSP versions have some documented issues even on conventional analog operation.

Proper vetting of subscriber equipment is essential to troubleshooting. Step one: Verify programming (RX/TX bandwidth, frequency, etc). Step two: Align and performance test the subscriber Step three: update HOST/DSP firmware using refresh key and appropriate firmware files.

The XTS series are finicky about PL/DPL decode and RX bandwidth/passband. First step is a proper alignment. I've had XTS/XTLs that were way off in the RX department and this caused issues as described. Other factors include old/outdated HOST/DSP versions. These radios are completely software driven as far as tuning, and ancient HOST/DSP versions have some documented issues even on conventional analog operation.

Proper vetting of subscriber equipment is essential to troubleshooting. Step one: Verify programming (RX/TX bandwidth, frequency, etc). Step two: Align and performance test the subscriber Step three: update HOST/DSP firmware using refresh key and appropriate firmware files.
This issue happens both on my 5K VHF and UHF. I am starting to believe it is a programming issue. How should I verify programming? What should I look out for/change in CPS?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
also, did you get your radios aligned? any used radio, especially of unknown provenance/vintage, is suspect to having tuning issues. The XTS series are often built from canibalized units, by persons who know just enough to be dangerous. Unless one has been at least run through an auto tune on an R8000 or 3920 or similar service monitor, even if only off a couple hundred Hz, it's enough to drive things like PL/DPL decode and P25 performance crazy. If you're confident your programming matches the bandwidth of the system(s) you're listening to, both those radios might be needing alignment.

FWIW we do alignment every year on the radios on our system and use a specialized piece of hardware on the radio system known as a DiasnostX to locate radios that are off frequency or high bit error rate. All radios go out of tolerance over time. Even ones brand new out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.