• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 5000 UHF R2 picket-fencing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidh22

When driving around in my car using my XTS 5000 UHF R2 attached to an NMO mount on the roof, I get a lot of picket fencing issues. I am wondering if it is an issue due to the fact of my current setup which is my XTS 5000 having an SMA-BNC connector on it. Would the picket-fencing issues go away if I picked up an XTVA. A video of the picket fencing is attached that so it can further describe the sound of it and what I am experiencing.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
What is the signal quality with a rubber duck? Sounds like it could also be analog simulcast, not knowing the infrastructure, it's hard to diagnose from a 10 second clip. Are you inside the primary coverage area or outside it?

Either way, an XTVA doesn't offer any more or less of an RF connection, if anything it's just as lossy as the RF has to pass thru the RF switch module to get RF thru the XTVA. I'd be willing to bet your adapter setup has less loss than an XTVA.

davidh22

What is the signal quality with a rubber duck? Sounds like it could also be analog simulcast, not knowing the infrastructure, it's hard to diagnose from a 10 second clip. Are you inside the primary coverage area or outside it?

Either way, an XTVA doesn't offer any more or less of an RF connection, if anything it's just as lossy as the RF has to pass thru the RF switch module to get RF thru the XTVA. I'd be willing to bet your adapter setup has less loss than an XTVA.

It would probably be worse with my rubber duck. Looking at the license (WIK335) it only broadcasts from one tower site. I am not in their coverage zone (aka the town), however, they do broadcast from Holt Hill which is 420ft in Andover, MA which covers the Northeastern part of the country pretty well. Would getting an XTL work better for me as it might reduce the picket fencing? Is there also a big RX sensitivity difference between an XTS5000 and an XTL5000?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
If your XTS is tuned and aligned, you shouldn't see any tremendous difference between the two going into the same antenna. I have zero familiarity with the terrain up there, but at the end of the day, if you're outside of the jurisdiction's intended coverage, you're getting about the best you're gonna get.

davidh22

If your XTS is tuned and aligned, you shouldn't see any tremendous difference between the two going into the same antenna. I have zero familiarity with the terrain up there, but at the end of the day, if you're outside of the jurisdiction's intended coverage, you're getting about the best you're gonna get.

Might not be a bad idea to get my radio aligned in the first place. It might also be worth to check out the SWR of my antenna. Do you have any good recommendations for an SWR that would work in the UHF Band that would work for the XTS 5K.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The 5K being a portable is designed to work with a rubber duck, haven't swept the full length whip, but I'd be surprised if it's less than 2.0. Anything external is better than a duck. You might try a 5/8 over 5/8 antenna which may eliminate some nulls ASSUMING you're running a quarter wave or something lower profile. It's easy to swap NMO antennas after all.

I recommend you get your radio aligned, especially if it's a used/eBay or unknown origin. Any local MSS that services XTS radios should be able to throw it on an auto tuning service monitor and tune it up for no more than a half hour labor. Ask for a printout of the alignment results.

Status
Not open for further replies.