• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 5000 upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoguy2

So, I've got a M1 that I would like to upgrade to a M3. I have a couple of questions. I understand that the rules prohibit any direct discussion of certain software.

First, What I need is: Housing kit, keypad flex, rubber keypad, and display?

Second. Do I do the hardware first, and then have my friend use his "magic" that makes it a M3 codeplug wise, or the other way around? Or does it matter?

Third: I know with the older displays (C01, C02, and C03), the band matters. I heard somewhere that C04 screens work all on bands. Is that correct?

Fourth: While i'm in there, is it advised to lube the o-ring? Or just clean it, and put it back. I want to do this right, I'm trying to learn as much as get a M3.

Fifth: Is there anything I should be extra careful about? I know the flexes are very brittle, and I have the case tool. I will use a anti-static mat. I know to make sure the O-ring seats right.

Thanks. I've worked on lots of Jedi, and a 3K, I just don't want to mess up a $400 (M1) radio.

Matt

P.S. Please do not turn this into a debate about whether my friend should have certain software, the best color of housing to have (I am working on a pink HT1000 housing though ;-) ), and especially, three pages of whether you need a case tool and name calling, like my last XTS thread degenerated into.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
So, do I have this right....the rules prohibit discussion of Depot, but you're gonna go ahead and discuss Depot? :confused:

As for the hardware procedure, have you obtained the service manual? That's where I'd start....manufacturer's recommendations....then you don't have to worry about other users and their pesky opinions on o-ring lube.

Also.... lol @ "friend" - do you think people are that stupid?

photoguy2

So, do I have this right....the rules prohibit discussion of Depot, but you're gonna go ahead and discuss Depot? :confused:

As for the hardware procedure, have you obtained the service manual? That's where I'd start....manufacturer's recommendations....then you don't have to worry about other users and their pesky opinions on o-ring lube.
Sorry, maybe I'm not being clear. I'm just asking about the hardware, absolutely no software. I'm just making it understood that I know there is another step, so I don't get the "Hey, you know you have to use depot to do this right?". As well, I'm just asking if there is any sort of driver affiliation that has to happen, I'm not asking for software, nor how to use it (I honestly don't care, see below). I'm not going to even do that part myself, a friend will, I'm just asking about the general process. If a mod thinks even that is too specific, they will say something.

I have the service manual, but nowhere does it talk about lubing it. Just replacing if it is damaged. I know how to read a manual, I'm asking for people's opinions. Like I said, I'm trying to learn from people who know much, much more about the xts series then me.

As for my friend, yes, people are that stupid, because I'm telling the truth. He does flashcode changes, and firmware upgrades. He is familiar with how to use the unmentionable software, I am not. I'm willing to pay him a bit, for a guarantee that I will get a radio with the correct flash and is not bricked. And, I honestly would prefer not having illegal software on my personal computers as well. For me, the $35 is said he would do it for, is not worth the possibility of a letter from Moto's legal department.

You'll also need the rubber display locator pad, part # 7585189D01.
Thanks! I forgot about that. $4, you would think that /\/\ would charge at least $25 for it ;-)

Matt

Last edited:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Second. Do I do the hardware first, and then have my friend use his "magic" that makes it a M3 codeplug wise, or the other way around? Or does it matter?

It doesn't matter....you can pre-program into an M3 and change the hardware at your leisure.

photoguy2

It doesn't matter....you can pre-program into an M3 and change the hardware at your leisure.
Thanks, I know all this stuff is digital, not analog anymore. I just wanted to make sure there were no driver issues or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.