• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 XTS 5000R Connection Error

powahayeagle

I recently received an XTS-5000R and I am trying to program it. I am using Astro 25 portable CPS and cable a RKN4105 programming cable. Whenever I hit read device, I get an error that says "Radio Failed to Acknowledge." A screenshot of it is attached. Radio Error.PNG

Any help on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

powahayeagle

Update: I have been looking at cables online and it looks like the pins on my cable might be wrong. Can anyone verify if the pins are in the right place? 20220924_181739-min.jpg

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Not sure where you got that cable, but the genuine Motorola RKN4015 cable is USB (true USB, no driver hokum needed), and has an additional 25 pin connector for connecting to a service monitor.

IMG_3076.jpeg

powahayeagle

Not sure where you got that cable, but the genuine Motorola RKN4015 cable is USB (true USB, no driver hokum needed), and has an additional 25 pin connector for connecting to a service monitor.

View attachment 128453
Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I got it from a small business online that I heard from friends was reputable. I reached out to the guy and he confirmed that it was wrong. He said he was going to send me the correct one for free.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
aftermarket usb cables have a built in usb-serial adapter. The USB setting in CPS is for motorola OEM cable only.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

The 25-pin connector actually connects to a test box like the RTX4005 for portables up to the Jedi line, and the RLN4460 starting with the Astro25 line. The test box connects to the service monitor.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I got it from a small business online that I heard from friends was reputable. I reached out to the guy and he confirmed that it was wrong. He said he was going to send me the correct one for free.

If it was BlueMax49ers or whatever, be mindful their "usb" cable merely has a usb-serial adapter built into the cable. You will need to choose the COM port assigned to the cable, then you can program away :)

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Look in your Windows device manager and see if there is a "prolific USB to serial" that pops up when you insert the cable. Set your Astro 25 CPS to look for a radio on the port assigned by the Windows device manager.