• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

xts and apx channel block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whospoonbill

Is it possible to turn a motorola xts or apx into a police scanner and block transmission to the public safety channel and only have free transmission to no illegal talking channel if that's makes sense? I'm only asking cause it will be a lot cheaper to get a xts or apx instead of a sds100. And i bought a motorola commander 2 mic years ago to go with my bc125at bearcat to give it the radio vibe look i just put a rubber band around the bc125at and put the commander 2 mic connector through the rubber band

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
"Cheaper" for a used radio maybe... Factor in software and programming cables and it's likely more money for something with far less features. Then not to sound mean, but if you have to ask how to use an xts or apx like that, you probably have no business doing it.

phillydjdan

It's called No-affiliate scanning and it is entirely possible. I have numerous radios doing exactly that...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You'll be hard pressed to get an APX cheaper than an SDS (maybe a used low tier model, but that's about it). The SDS would be a far better purchase at that point.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Are we sure the OP is looking for non-affiliate scan (yes, there is a trunking system in play here) and not just the VHF frequencies in use in his city? If that's the case, what the OP is looking for can simply be achieved with TX inhibit. He is apparently listening with a BC125AT, so the trunked system isn't even a possibility to him now and he's listened for 2 years-so the limitation doesn't seem like it's that big of an issue to them.

As far as the Motorola speaker-mic, learn a little bit about diagnostic electronics and soldering. The speaker-mic is a paperweight as it is now-either sell it (probably the best option) or learn how to put a 3.5mm jack on it and at least get the benefit of being able to pipe audio to it. It would even work with an SDS100, which is much cheaper when you factor in programming software costs.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
....And that's what I was referring to when I mentioned a low tier model APX. As mentioned you are limited to only 1 band etc vs many more options with the SDS. Will it work better with LSM? Of course, but it's a trade off with other features.

Considering he said he holds a Motorola mic to his current scanner with a rubber band for the 'radio vibe look'... I think coming up to speed with an APX and NAS programming might be a bit of a jump. But hey, everyone has to start somewhere I suppose!

clbsquared

If all you're wanting to do is monitor conventional analog channels, then just buy a used HT1250 and program your frequencies for "RX Only". No need to fuss with a radio capable of P25 Phase 1 or 2 if you're not monitoring those types of systems. Just because you have a Commander 2 mic, there's no reason to match the radio to the mic. Sell the mic and put it towards a 1250 that comes with a mic.

Whospoonbill

Also i found a cheap xts 3000 i might get and i found a combo for programming cables to usb. Can i still program it to talkgroup Motorola XTS 3000 800MHz Two Way Radio H09UCH9PW7BN | eBay. There the link to the radio and I'm in travis county would that radio be able to get tcso channel and not get me in trouble if I'm not mistaking what someone said earlier that Non-affiliation scanning will stop me from being able to transmit on there radios talk group

Attachments

• bet to be arpoind.png
    bet to be arpoind.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:

Whospoonbill

would it tone me out like when police officer push the ptt and there press it when someone else is transmitting will it make that sound u try to talk on the talkgroup cause if it does that what I'm looking for so if i accidently press the ptt with the mic it wont transmit

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
You might be able to get a radio on the cheap, but if it doesn't have the flashcodes required for the trunked system you wish to monitor, then you're out of luck. Those flashcodes are what makes the price of the radio go up. Example from one of my State of Iowa ISICS APX8000 radios:
Code:
Codeplug Feature Set
H38-SMARTZONE Systems Operation Yes
Q806-ASTRO Digital Operation Yes
Q173-SMARTZONE OMNILINK Multizone Operation Yes
Q361-ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking Systems Operation Yes
Q667-Advanced Digital Privacy Software No
Q507-12.5 kHz FCC Mandate Yes
QA00583-Bluetooth No
QA00782-GPS Activation No
Q947-Packet Data Interface No
QA00580-TDMA Operation Yes
QA01749-Legacy SW System Key Enable No
QA00569-7/800 MHz Yes
QA00571-UHF Range 1 Yes
QA00572-UHF Range 2 Yes

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Also i found a cheap xts 3000 i might get and i found a combo for programming cables to usb. Can i still program it to talkgroup Motorola XTS 3000 800MHz Two Way Radio H09UCH9PW7BN | eBay. There the link to the radio and I'm in travis county would that radio be able to get tcso channel and not get me in trouble if I'm not mistaking what someone said earlier that Non-affiliation scanning will stop me from being able to transmit on there radios talk group
If you do not have "rights or permission" to have your unit on any said system, no Motorola tech will program that radio for you, at least that is how it is supposed to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.