• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS Motorola Multi-Use Charger (MUC) adapters for APX batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipjumper

I have two WPLN4121BR bank chargers and I'm curious if someone can confirm beyond a reasonable doubt that the NNTN7686A adapter cups for APX batteries will fit and work with this MUC? I cannot get confirmation from Motorola. The M website claims that those adapters fit the "WPLN4108 or WPLN4130".

We are switch from XTS to APX and would like to save some money buy buying the adapters in lieu of new bank chargers and use the extra cash for more accessories.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have two WPLN4121BR bank chargers and I'm curious if someone can confirm beyond a reasonable doubt that the NNTN7686A adapter cups for APX batteries will fit and work with this MUC? I cannot get confirmation from Motorola. The M website claims that those adapters fit the "WPLN4108 or WPLN4130".

We are switch from XTS to APX and would like to save some money buy buying the adapters in lieu of new bank chargers and use the extra cash for more accessories.

We bought several of these a few years ago for the same reason, and they worked great in the Astro-series gang charger. However, when we ordered more last year, they were too short to fit in the gang charger but worked fine in the Astro-series desktop charger. Apparently Motorola changed the design at some point in the last few years.

I would suggest buying one to test first; if it works buy more.

RocketNJ

I have a 4121AR and using the NNTN7686A fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2094.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 95

MatRat80109

I use the NNTN7686A in my six bank chargers. From MOL they come in a package of six.
The NNTN7687A is shorter and fits my WPLN4114 single chargers.

/MR

chipjumper

Thank you for the information. I will forward the information up the chain. Hopefully they will take the advice and save the $$$.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
The adapters work great! I have an adapter for mt XTS IMPRES charger for both APX radios and HT-1250 radios and it charges both perfectly!

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Just be sure you're impress charger is above a certain firmware I forget which firmware version the charger needed to be to do the APX battery.

MWW85

Premium Subscriber
MedicDavid78, do you have a part number for the HT1250 insert? Is that for the XTS impres charger WPLN4114?

Thanks

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber

RocketNJ

Just be sure you're impress charger is above a certain firmware I forget which firmware version the charger needed to be to do the APX battery.

As you can see from my pictures above, the charger is at firmware 3.00 which is OLD. It works fine with APX Impress batteries (Impress version 1 batteries). I do have the firmware updater kit for the chargers and should update my rack charger :-/

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
As you can see from my pictures above, the charger is at firmware 3.00 which is OLD. It works fine with APX Impress batteries (Impress version 1 batteries). I do have the firmware updater kit for the chargers and should update my rack charger :-/
Please do. Although it may be working, that firmware predates the APX radio's existence by a few years! v3.4 came out in 2006 and is the minimum I would touch anything with, and current release is v3.11 for Impres1.

iversm24

Anyone have any idea if I were to buy a new multi bank charger for APX radios if I could use XPR series inserts? I have 2 XPR 7550e's and 3 APX 6000 radios I would like to charge all in one place.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You'll need an RLN5671A, and the appropriate IMPRES charger software, from MSI.
You'll need to pop the top off the charger, and update each pocket (which is essentially a single unit charger by itself with a common power supply) individually.
If you have display modules, you will update those with the programmer as well.

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber

If I remember correctly, you need at least firmware 3.4 to safely charge Lithium batteries. I would definitely upgrade the firmware.

One other thing, the new Impress2 batteries probably won't receive all benefits (longer service life, etc) if charged on the older Impress(1) charger.
If you are buying new Impress2 batteries, you may want to invest in Impress2 charges.

(You can buy 8 single unit chargers for the cost of the 6-pocket charger!)

RodStrong

If I remember correctly, you need at least firmware 3.4 to safely charge Lithium batteries. I would definitely upgrade the firmware.

I don't have anything to go on at the moment except memory, but I always thought it was ver 3.4 and above as well. I probably have 2-3 dozen of the adapter inserts floating around (mostly for APX4k's, but a few for APX 6/7k's, and they seem to work pretty good. They are a good way to extend the life of the XTS impres chargers if you have any.

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
The APX battery pocket adapters also fit the IMPRESS BATTERY READER so that you can read APX batteries.
One of our local partners was going to throw away a dozen APX brand new batteries that had sat on a shelf for a year. They would not charge because the battery was so dead the internal chip would not let it even begin to charge (safety reasons I assume).
I was able to refresh the DATE\TIME on the bad batteries and saved most of the batteries. A few were just dead and couldn't be recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.