• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS TX High Power Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADOC

Hello All - I have a batch of 50 XTS 2500 that I'm running through the AeroFlex Digital Radio Test Set with the auto test for the Astro 25. During the test I get some radios with TX power fail in the High, Mid and Low level while others run through without an issue. Is there something I can adjust with the AeroFlex or is there a internal problem with the XTS.

Thank you,
MADOC

com501

PHYSICALLY inspect each radio internally. Common failure on XTS2500 is the antenna connection to the circuit board.

Make sure you have the correct battery eliminator for the 3920 test kit and it is set to the correct voltage and current limit.

N4KVE

Hello All - I have a batch of 50 XTS 2500 that I'm running through the AeroFlex Digital Radio Test Set with the auto test for the Astro 25. During the test I get some radios with TX power fail in the High, Mid and Low level while others run through without an issue. Is there something I can adjust with the AeroFlex or is there a internal problem with the XTS.

Thank you,
MADOC
But doesn't the Aeroflex correct the issue? I've seen where settings are out of spec, & the Aeroflex automatically corrects it.

MADOC

But doesn't the Aeroflex correct the issue? I've seen where settings are out of spec, & the Aeroflex automatically corrects it.

One would think it would. The auto test and alignment works well on some of the units. I have about a dozen with TX High, Mid and TX Low Fail AMD RX Ber Fail. Does anyone know what RX Ber is? I'm thinking an issue with the XTS it's self but I'm not sure where to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4KVE

I recently bought some XTX2500's. 2 UHF, & 2 900's. Both UHF radios were ex military, & they wanted the low power settings to be 1/2 watt, even though spec was 2 watts. So when I brought the radios to my friend's shop, & ran them on the Aeroflex, they both failed at the low power setting. The Aeroflex then set the low power settings to 2 watts, automatically w/o having to do anything. The 1st 900 radio was OK, but 600Hz high, so the 3920 retuned it automatically, & it was then 6 Hz high. But the 2nd one could not get into repeaters, although 927 rx/tx was fine. Ran it on the 3920, & it turned out the dev/bal was 7% out of spec on repeater input freq's. Again the Aeroflex corrected, & retuned the radio to spec. So there was no manual tuning involved. Just push a button, & the radio reads the specs, & retunes if necessary. It even printed out a report of all the specs. Pass, fail, & retune. Like a report card for the radio.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
PHYSICALLY inspect each radio internally. Common failure on XTS2500 is the antenna connection to the circuit board.

Make sure you have the correct battery eliminator for the 3920 test kit and it is set to the correct voltage and current limit.

I'd say that 1 out of every 10 that come through our shop have to have the SMA replaced due to them being broken off of the board. This will cause the power output failure that you describe. On some radios, even after repairing the SMA, the alignment still fails. More than likely due to continued transmit into an open load, which destroys the PA. MAKO board replacement is not cheap, so inspect that SMA closely.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Ensure the settings are reasonable for power calibration. I have had the same issue with certain monitors due to base-calibration files having unreasonably high power output expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.