• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS-XTL in CPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to easily program an XTL5000 identically to how an XTS5000? I know cloning isn’t an option because the two radios are different models entirely. Additionally, I’m wondering why on my XTS I am receiving a channel (that is very far away) but on my XTL the RX light isn’t even lighting up. Thanks so much!

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
One issue that may explain the rx of a distant repeater is location radio is at, skip, mostly likely needs to be tuned and aligned plus the antenna being used should be aligned properly.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I like Mikes idea better. While importing does work I've just noticed things or minor issues with it which I never been a fan of.

ME801

Drop and drag has worked better for me that importing.

Your radio probably needs to be aligned on a service monitor all other things being equal.

How do I:
A) drag and drop
B) align and tune

Thank you all so very much
Figured out the drag drop; I’m still having trouble with reception. My XTS vhf with the wide band antenna is picking up the repeater but my XTL isn’t. Got the XTL for the purpose of it being able to transmit and receive at more power and have a better antenna.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
To perform an alignment you need a calibrated service monitor ($$$) and the ASTRO 25 Tuner software along with the requisite know-how (and known good cabling). You check your antenna/feedline with a good wattmeter or antenna analyzer. Use a multimeter to check for shorts, opens. Might be best to have a professional radio shop check everything out for you if you're not comfortable with any of that.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
In light of rescue121's generous offer, I should amend my suggestion by adding ...or find someone in a local radio club who's willing to help you out.

If you were near me, I could do all of that for you for free.
I very much appreciate the generosity. Interestingly enough I drove 100 yards north and reception was absolutely outstanding. Not sure why my handheld works perfectly at home and the XTL doesn’t.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Either front-end overload from nearby transmitter that the mobile was picking up that the handheld was not, or the mobile needs an alignment. There is probably someone close to you that can help you out or maybe even someone with a service monitor that can align it for you. They may even let you watch and can teach you as they go. That's what I like to do. Ham clubs used to be a decent place to ask for help, but it's becoming more difficult to find hams that a) have the equipment and b) know what they are doing.

Either front-end overload from nearby transmitter that the mobile was picking up that the handheld was not, or the mobile needs an alignment. There is probably someone close to you that can help you out or maybe even someone with a service monitor that can align it for you. They may even let you watch and can teach you as they go. That's what I like to do. Ham clubs used to be a decent place to ask for help, but it's becoming more difficult to find hams that a) have the equipment and b) know what they are doing.
Sounds good! I will make sure to do that; it would be a great skill to learn.

ME801

Starting to sound like your radio could benefit from an alignment. I send mine out every year. It's cheap insurance for a quality radio.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I didn't see it mentioned but if you do a top node drag and drop between a portable and mobile, your power settings will be out of whack. You have to go back and set them correctly.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I didn't see it mentioned but if you do a top node drag and drop between a portable and mobile, your power settings will be out of whack. You have to go back and set them correctly.
that is the case with APX, but IIRC the XTL/XTS CPS won't touch those (and other fields too, like menu items) between the two. None the less, that is a quick fix but it wouldn't affect the user's RX sensitivity the way it's described.

So to everyone, I took it up to NH this weekend and it worked perfectly. As soon as I went south of the border the portable worked and the mobile didn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.