XTS1500 out of band modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
First off, I am a licensed ham. I am also involved extensively with public safety spanning several agencies. Everything I do and I'm proposing to do, I am licensed to do so.

I'm trying my hardest to find information regarding modifying an XTS1500 working in the public safety UHF band to transmit out of band (430-450). I've googled, batlab'd, and radioreferenced this to death, all to no avail. There are a few P25 digital repeaters for amateur use withing my QTH, and I'd love to join in without having to shell out money for another XTS1500 or P25 radio.

I own a RIB as well as the CPS software.

Does anyone have any information regarding how one may accomplish this, or maybe a website to direct me towards?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
First off, I am a licensed ham. I am also involved extensively with public safety spanning several agencies. Everything I do and I'm proposing to do, I am licensed to do so.

I'm trying my hardest to find information regarding modifying an XTS1500 working in the public safety UHF band to transmit out of band (430-450). I've googled, batlab'd, and radioreferenced this to death, all to no avail. There are a few P25 digital repeaters for amateur use withing my QTH, and I'd love to join in without having to shell out money for another XTS1500 or P25 radio.

I own a RIB as well as the CPS software.

Does anyone have any information regarding how one may accomplish this, or maybe a website to direct me towards?

My first question, is the radio yours to modify? The other issue is that modifying the original model might void the certification and being your a guest on another's system, if you own the radio, you want to make sure that it meets all of the frequency error and deviation requirements if you are sucessful in modifying it.

I thought there were some that have utilized modified CPS (re-written HEX) to extend the capabilities of the XTS series radios. I thought this was on batlabs but never really paid attention to it, but doing a search this might not be factual....
Batboard • Login

Also you don't need a RIB to program an XTS1500, so I hope your not trying to use it to program because it won't work.

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
Yes the radio is mine to modify. I misspoke when I said I had a RIB. I have the CPS software and the USB programming cable through Motorola.

Bank A is a conventional list with my agency's frequencies. Bank B contains talk groups associated with my county's TRS. Third bank is wide open.

Getting used to CPS. Been using RSS and a RIB to program HT1000's for years now on my squad. Whole new ball game...

N9OZE

Fizz306 - Did it work?

Greetings;

I too have a couple of XTS1500's I'd like to use on Amateur. I'm not real good with Hex editing. Can you share whether you were successful and can we email off-line?

Dave - N9OZE

Status
Not open for further replies.