• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

xts1500 to monitor only P25 Phase II NJICS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfas1921

Hello- to be up front, I'm the President of the Howell Township First Aid and Rescue Squad #1 and in chanrge of the radio programming for our organization. Our Police Department has recently switched to the NJICS P25 Phase II state system which operates on 4 different talk groups.
I am looking for cost effective way for the squad to be able to monitor the PD in the ambulances on calls. We have been offered by the pd to have radios programmed and put in our vehicles, but can not afford the astronomical price nor justify it just to listen.
I purchased an xts1500 to play around with (LEARN) and program them just to receive. Is there a way that this can actually be done or am trying to learn something that will not be able to be done with this series of radio?
Thanks

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
P25 Phase II WILL NOT work on the XTS series radio. You have to get an APX radio to listen to Phase II.

The only way a Phase II system will work on the XTS is if there is still Phase I users on that specific talk group, otherwise no dice.

Regards,

-Frank C.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
P25 Phase ll

It would still be expensive, but would one of the newer Whistler or Uniden scanners fill this need? Four new scanners would be much less than even one APX.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Might want to consider a Unication if and when they roll out Phase II support.

hfas1921

Ok thanks for the information. I guess I'll resell the two xts1500's on ebay since I have no use for them. Technology is great, but gone are the days where you can just pop in one set of numbers and hear everything lol.

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
Purchase a few Relm/Bendix King KNG-P800's. They can positively be programmed for receive only on a TDMA Phase II system. Generally a third of the cost of an APX but the big benefit for you is they do receive only out of the box by simply checking a box in the programming software. The programming cable and software can be purchased without restrictions as well from Relm/BK or any reseller.

Status
Not open for further replies.