• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS2500 Channels Go "Deaf" With PL ... suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
A VHF XTS2500 is having some odd PL issues that I cannot figure out.

Certain frequencies work perfectly in CSQ, but will not receive with the PL programmed in. Hold down monitor you can hear, or just leave it programmed in CSQ you can hear, but program in the PL and the channels go deaf. It is not every frequency, most work as they are supposed to with frequency and PL, and I can’t figure out any pattern this this issue.

Before you say “is the PL right?” or “check the PL” … these frequencies and PLs work just fine in XTS 3000, Astro Saber and even UV-5R radios. It is just this one XTS2500.

Any suggestions? It is driving me nuts!

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Just one major thing to look at. Are the channels set for 2.5kHz spacing or 5.0kHz? Even though you might not be TRANSMITTING on them, the receive still looks for this. I had the same issue on my XTS5000, and after changing to the "narrowband" of 2.5kHz spacing, everything worked fine.

Just something to look at.

Regards,

-Frank C.

RKG

Just one major thing to look at. Are the channels set for 2.5kHz spacing or 5.0kHz? Even though you might not be TRANSMITTING on them, the receive still looks for this. I had the same issue on my XTS5000, and after changing to the "narrowband" of 2.5kHz spacing, everything worked fine.

Just something to look at.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Concur. If your Rx radio is set for 5 kHz and the TX radio is set for 2.5 kHz, the Rx radio will see the PL at half nominal deviation, which may be too low to be called valid.

sefrischling

Just one major thing to look at. Are the channels set for 2.5kHz spacing or 5.0kHz? Even though you might not be TRANSMITTING on them, the receive still looks for this. I had the same issue on my XTS5000, and after changing to the "narrowband" of 2.5kHz spacing, everything worked fine. .

Thanks, I'll go take a look and see what these channels are set for. Might explain why one of those channels works just fine in Zone 2 and Zone 15, but not in Zone 1.

sefrischling

OK, when I go to change the spacing I get the "glasses" preventing me from making any changes in the CPS. Is there a step I am missing?

I pulled up the CPS for the Astro Saber/XTS 3000 ... which I know is completely different software, and I didn't encounter this. Went back to the XTS2500 CPS and I can't seem to get it to allow the change.

sefrischling

What section are you in? You should be able to change it in the Zone Channel Assignment.

That is where I am in, and when I got to Channel 2, Channel 3, Channel 9 in Zone 1 it will not allow me to change the spacing. I can change the freq, the channel name, the PL (other channel's NAC), but I cannot change space for any channels.

sefrischling

You know ... it is only in zones where the channel is RX only it is an issue, the TX ones work just fine. Back home to the laptop and cable I go!

sefrischling

Switched to Narrow ... went to upload and got a FAIL 01/82 that I cannot clear.

Oh yippee. I'm guessing it a radio issue.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Sounds like the radio was at firmware R11, which was a disaster.

Google "XTS FAIL 01/82" for the depressing details.

sefrischling

Please tell me you saved the codeplug before you exited cps. If so, you should still be able to identify the firmware, sn, flashcode, etc through the Radio Information tab for that codeplug.

I did, I'll grab that info when I get back to that laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.