• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Xts2500 impres battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebell9137

Premium Subscriber
hi. I own a model 3 xts2500 vhf radio along with a brand new replacement impres lipo 4100mah battery. I have done the reconditioning already and charges to 100% with 4082mah capacity. It stays 100% for about 4 hours or so just receiving and no transmitting. Then changes to 90% at 3837mah remaining capacity. Is that actually 90% for sure or is it between 99 and 90%? I have read the manual saying about the 3 icon bars and the estimated percentages that the icon will be at once its 2 bars and 1 bar. 100% is 3 bars, 70% is 2 bars and 40% is 1 bar. When it gets to 70% the icon is still full until it actually reaches 70%. So does the other percentages like 80% etc mean that its actually 89% and going down to 80% eventually? This radio only counts by 10% when discharging down to 0%. If anyone know, please lmk asap thanks. Ive already talked to Motorola and they didnt help me.

firebell9137

Premium Subscriber
Does that 4% seriously make that much of a difference for you?
I dont like that it counts down in 10% intervals. It doesnt help me know exactly what percentage its at. If it discharged in 1s% thatd be alot better for me to know instead of guessing.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The IMPRES system in the XTS series is the first version of IMPRES firmware/hardware made. Like the first of anything, it is far from perfect. The APX and TRBO IMPRES implementations (and subsequent battery and charger firmware) are miles above the legacy XTS series. The XTS radios are approaching 20 years old. Let that sink in. Think about where we were battery technology wise 20 years ago. Lithium Ion was just starting to become a standard, NiMH and dare I say NiCAD were still the chemistries of choice.

The fact that the battery gauge works at all on the XTS radios is a plus.

K2NEC

The IMPRES system in the XTS series is the first version of IMPRES firmware/hardware made. Like the first of anything, it is far from perfect. The APX and TRBO IMPRES implementations (and subsequent battery and charger firmware) are miles above the legacy XTS series. The XTS radios are approaching 20 years old. Let that sink in. Think about where we were battery technology wise 20 years ago. Lithium Ion was just starting to become a standard, NiMH and dare I say NiCAD were still the chemistries of choice.

The fact that the battery gauge works at all on the XTS radios is a plus.
+1 on this. I pulled a box of old HT1000's and they all had Ni-CAD batteries (dead beyond repair of course). I'm happy that I have a general idea of how my battery is doing charge wise, I don't need the percentage down to the exact percent.

K2NEC

I dont like that it counts down in 10% intervals. It doesnt help me know exactly what percentage its at. If it discharged in 1s% thatd be alot better for me to know instead of guessing.
Like MTS said, it's a 20 year old radio, you cant expect much. If you dont like it then dump the 2500 and get an apx.

N4KVE

Like MTS said, it's a 20 year old radio, you cant expect much. If you dont like it then dump the 2500 and get an apx.
Guess what? My APX8000XE with an Impres 2 battery also measures battery life in 10% intervals. Only my Impres battery analyzer gives the exact count.

K2NEC

Guess what? My APX8000XE with an Impres 2 battery also measures battery life in 10% intervals. Only my Impres battery analyzer gives the exact count.
What firmware are you on?

firebell9137

Premium Subscriber
Just fyi. I know that its an older radio. And i know it only goes by 10% intervals. It is: 100% to 71% is 3 bars. 70% to 41% is 2 bars and 40% to 11% is 1 bar and 10% to 0% is flashing low battery icon. My main question was: is there a way to know what specific percentage its at other than 10% intervals. I will be getting the impres battery reader i didnt know existed. Thanks for all the replies though. Be safe/well people

K2NEC

Just fyi. I know that its an older radio. And i know it only goes by 10% intervals. It is: 100% to 71% is 3 bars. 70% to 41% is 2 bars and 40% to 11% is 1 bar and 10% to 0% is flashing low battery icon. My main question was: is there a way to know what specific percentage its at other than 10% intervals. I will be getting the impres battery reader i didnt know existed. Thanks for all the replies though. Be safe/well people
Exactly correct. The Impres data readers are surprisingly not that expensive and if you buy the whole kit, it comes with adapters for all sorts of radios so you can pretty much read any impres battery that you get your hands on. Best of luck

firebell9137

Premium Subscriber
Exactly correct. The Impres data readers are surprisingly not that expensive and if you buy the whole kit, it comes with adapters for all sorts of radios so you can pretty much read any impres battery that you get your hands on. Best of luck
Yup. Thanks.

N4KVE

Depends on the seller. Some remove the adaptors to lower the price on the reader. I got my reader brand new in the box with all the adapters for $40 at the Orlando ham fest.

Status
Not open for further replies.