• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS2500 on a P25 system

DatedGore

I have an XTS with the flashcode 500008-000488-2, I believe it can in theory do P-25 but I am unable to adjust many things in the "trunking system" part in CPS such as site ID and even enter talkgroups. This is my first time playing around with any astro p25 options as I've always been using digital. Am trying to set it up to listen and not transmit.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Affiliation to the desired system is a real issue and Motorola radios will try to affiliate.

If you do not have experience in Moto programming software, you have a very steep and frustrating learning curve ahead of you. Tread cautiously.

DatedGore

Affiliation to the desired system is a real issue and Motorola radios will try to affiliate.

If you do not have experience in Moto programming software, you have a very steep and frustrating learning curve ahead of you. Tread cautiously.
I have only used the older Motorola software for analog radios. This is in many ways different

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
I have an XTS with the flashcode 500008-000488-2, I believe it can in theory do P-25 but I am unable to adjust many things in the "trunking system" part in CPS such as site ID and even enter talkgroups. This is my first time playing around with any astro p25 options as I've always been using digital. Am trying to set it up to listen and not transmit.
Unless you have a system key for the P25 trunking system you are trying to edit then you won't be able to make any changes in those fields. This needs to be left to someone who has the know-how to do the programming or you can create some serious issues.

DatedGore

Unless you have a system key for the P25 trunking system you are trying to edit then you won't be able to make any changes in those fields. This needs to be left to someone who has the know-how to do the programming or you can create some serious issues.
Hmmm I will have to look further into it as I would like to use this XTS2500 as a desktop scanner but I would need to figure out how to find some of this info out

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Hmmm I will have to look further into it as I would like to use this XTS2500 as a desktop scanner but I would need to figure out how to find some of this info out
You’re going to need either a system key (which you can’t get here and don’t ask how to get one) or depot CPS (again, you can’t get here and don’t ask how to get it).

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
As said the reason you can't modify trunking system or talk groups is you need a system key. The system key is provider by the administrators of the radios system. They dont just hand those out. Your better off selling the radio and getting a good scanner.

a417

It's going to be a terribly frustrating and inefficient desktop scanner.

There are better devices out there for that task.

N4KVE

It's going to be a terribly frustrating and inefficient desktop scanner.

There are better devices out there for that task.
If programmed properly it will blow any scanner away. But if the OP is asking here, he’s not familiar with NAS, & needs to find someone who is. The probability his radio will affiliate is too great, so the simple solution is to buy a scanner that won’t simulcast for 5 times the price of the radio he already has, that does. Here’s the start of a long journey.

Last edited:

KG7PBS

Don’t mind Kevinc I have plenty of XTS listening to P-25 systems. They work well. But I will tell you if you don’t know anything about trunking then don’t play with it.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Don’t mind Kevinc I have plenty of XTS listening to P-25 systems. They work well. But I will tell you if you don’t know anything about trunking then don’t play with it.
I never said they wouldn’t work.

DatedGore

I have always been a fan of Motorola radios and do know what most probably do not know about trunking. This is just my first experience with actually programming these radios. It is never fun when people come at you and tell you to get what you dont want. I am always welcome to a challenge!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Just review this before doing anything, as a word of caution if you don't know, and a friendly word of reminder if you're familiar already.

Non affiliated scan is not difficult to set up in principle but you need to be paying attention to all the rules of the setup to be assured of safety.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Here's the briefest summary of how non affiliated scanning works. This presumes you have solved all problems relating to access to system keys of any required type.

Here's the operational summary:
Create a zone that contains 16 conventional channels in slots 1 thru 16. And trunked systems in slots 17 thru whatever.
Trunked systems are NEVER NEVER NEVER placed in slots 1 thru 16 on ANY zone. They stay above 16, where they can NOT be accessed via the rotary knob.

The beauty, the glory of it, the thing that makes it all possible, is that a conventional channel can have a scan list attached to it that contains only trunked talkgroups. We're going to abuse the heck out of this feature!!!

Channel 1 is conventional and slaved to trunked scan list 1.
Channel 2 is conventional and slaved to trunked scan list 2.
Channel 3 is conventional and slaved to trunked scan list 3.
----and so forth----
Channel 16 is conventional and slaved to trunked scan list 16.

Channel 17 (and higher channels) are trunked personality entries, the ones referenced by the trunked scan lists.

Repeat on each zone as needed.

To be clear about this, for safety's sake, there is no CHAN or SUB menu entry in the radio which would ever allow you to directly access above channel 16 in any group. This makes it impossible for the radio to affiliate on any trunked system programmed in the radio.

You do need to keep very careful track of how the slaved scan lists are configured and assigned.
Scan characteristics need to be paid attention to as well. (Priority settings, etc.)

DatedGore

Here's the briefest summary of how non affiliated scanning works. This presumes you have solved all problems relating to access to system keys of any required type.

Here's the operational summary:
Create a zone that contains 16 conventional channels in slots 1 thru 16. And trunked systems in slots 17 thru whatever.
Trunked systems are NEVER NEVER NEVER placed in slots 1 thru 16 on ANY zone. They stay above 16, where they can NOT be accessed via the rotary knob.

The beauty, the glory of it, the thing that makes it all possible, is that a conventional channel can have a scan list attached to it that contains only trunked talkgroups. We're going to abuse the heck out of this feature!!!

Channel 1 is conventional and slaved to trunked scan list 1.
Channel 2 is conventional and slaved to trunked scan list 2.
Channel 3 is conventional and slaved to trunked scan list 3.
----and so forth----
Channel 16 is conventional and slaved to trunked scan list 16.

Channel 17 (and higher channels) are trunked personality entries, the ones referenced by the trunked scan lists.

Repeat on each zone as needed.

To be clear about this, for safety's sake, there is no CHAN or SUB menu entry in the radio which would ever allow you to directly access above channel 16 in any group. This makes it impossible for the radio to affiliate on any trunked system programmed in the radio.

You do need to keep very careful track of how the slaved scan lists are configured and assigned.
Scan characteristics need to be paid attention to as well. (Priority settings, etc.)
Thank you for this, I have already been looking around and figuring things out. But this was a big help. And I have to thank you again for being direct and not trying to spin this in another direction

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
No problem. You gave me enough information to suggest that you're competent, sufficiently experienced, and can probably handle this.

I feel the faintest trace of responsiblity any time someone uses this method, since I may have been the guy who invented it. At the very least I was the first guy to write up how to do it and it seemed to be a new achievement in the moto scanning hobby world at the time.