• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS2500 turning off at will, sort of

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
Odd phenomenon. Picked up my XTS2500 and it shut off on its own. It's sort of duplicatable. If I wiggle the battery or give it little whack, it will sometimes shut off. But the LCD back light might stay on. It's as if power is being flaky to the board.

Fortunately it always comes back. Can either power cycle or remove battery but it always needs some form of power interrup to return to service. Already tried different batteries and making sure they are seated fully, 2 clicks. Contacts are clean and springy.

Known issue? Possibly a loose ribbon? I have never cracked the case on a 2500, only 3000/5000. Same white tool for bottom? Anything to look out for besides (I assume it's the same as it's larger siblings) the folded ribbon from the radio controls to board?

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
Oh... now this is troubling. Had it on, and it turned itself off. LCD back light was still on when I pressed a button, but then went off. Then the red activity light on the top started blinking.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
At least take it apart and reseat the ribbons as seems an issue as such compression will cause a change in operation of the front casing, start from there to eliminate

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
ZIF connectors on these radios were a weak link. BE CAREFUL handling them, the little latch is known to break and when it does, get out your SMD rework station. If it's not the front cover/display flexes, battery contacts are also another point of failure on these "cost cutter" radios.

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
ZIF connectors on these radios were a weak link. BE CAREFUL handling them, the little latch is known to break and when it does, get out your SMD rework station. If it's not the front cover/display flexes, battery contacts are also another point of failure on these "cost cutter" radios.
Super.

It feels like it's a battery issue since a careful battery wiggle will cause it to blink out. Is there a fix?

EDIT: I bought a destuffing tool which will arrive next week. I didn't have one for the XTS2500, only the 3000/5000 series

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
If the contacts are worn down, which is common on these radios being they are at least 10 or more years old, they must be replaced. Also seems they are more prone to doing this with aftermarket batteries than OEM, but you really won't know until you get your "destuffing tool" (gotta love Chinglish) and get inside the radio.

Use MUCH CAUTION with the ZIF connectors. Those little clips are easy to break off, especially if the radio is old, the plastic tends to brittle so easily as it's thin.

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
I thought destuffing is what happens when you carve a turkey, but then I kept seeing the term, chuckled, and bought one.

And don't knock the dude on a budget. I'm still rocking XTS3000s😂 although just for outdoor adventures with friends since I don't care so much if one smashes, and a poor man's impromptu scanner for local frequencies. SDS100 is far too delicate a flower to kick around.

Before I venture inside, I will watch as many YouTube videos as I can to see that disassembly in action and identify the steps in which I could get in trouble (ZIF). I'm not as dexterous as I used to be, but I will exercise extreme caution. The radio is flaky as it is, so if I break it more it's almost a lateral move.

What is the inspection, testing and remove/replace procedures for the battery connectors? And equally as important, are the parts available?

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
Is there a more in depth basic repair manual? Detailed service looks to be all about alignment and radio operations, basic service has pretty pictures and actual useful information, however, it does not mention the battery terminals.

Basic service, page 50, #4:
"Most repairs to the main board can be performed without further disassembly of the chassis. If it is necessary to replace the O-ring, remove the small O-ring retainers from their slots in the chassis. Note the alignment of the retainers for reassembly."

Unfortunately I need to go a step further.

Anyone done the terminal repair?

com501

I have done hundreds, did one today as a matter of fact. Hot air rework station, new contact assembly. Takes about half an hour.

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
Question begs, give it a go or have someome who's done hundreds do it on their coffee break. Could likely do the work if I had to, but do I want to.