• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Xts2500 vs Xts5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone:
In the future, I would like to get an 800 MHz Motorola radio, so I wanted some opinions on which is better: Xts2500 or Xts5000. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!

dgruber

For me I would definitely go for the 5000. Much bigger PTT button. Bigger batteries available. Better designed with the volume nob and channel selector. Overall I think its a better radio then the 2500. But the 2500 is not bad either!

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If you can afford the 5000 you won't be disappointed. The 2500 is a great radio for what it is though. Still well built and works great an all just a few less features and a little cheaper.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The real differences between the two radios are size and some features. For example, the XTS2500 doesn't have a clear/secure rocker like the XTS5000. The XTS1500/2500s don't use conventional UCMs as shared across the rest of the XTL and XTS5000 line and as such, they are a little more difficult to track down.

Personally, I prefer the XTS2500 when encryption isn't really a big deal mainly due to it's size. That doesn't mean I don't like the XTS5000s either as it's nice to be able to share some accessories (such as batteries) across all of my XTS3000s, XTS5000s and in a pinch my EFJ 5100s.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Before I bought my XTS 5000 UHF model 3..I had the XTS 3000 mod 3 version and it was a great radio but I sold it awhile back and purchased the XTS 5000. The quality and performance of the XTS 5000 is great for what I need it for. :D

N4KVE

I originally had a UHF 5000, because I upgraded from a 3000, & had plenty of batteries. I always thought the 5000 was a superior radio to the 2500. At the time, there was no way to toggle between low, & hi power on the 2500, but that was fixed with recent FW. Now you can. But I wanted to get on P25 900 MHz, & there's no 5000 that does that. I didn't want a UHF 5000, & 900 2500. Besides, my 3000/5000 batteries were getting old. A friend who works for a HUGE utility company from time to time has to throw out NOS Motorola parts to make room for newer parts. They were going to toss new Jedi, & HT1250 batteries. So he gave me NOS HT1250 batteries which work with the 2500. I sold the UHF 5000, & bought 2 mint 2500's. UHF, & 900. To me, they are equal. Maybe the 5000 is more rugged, but I don't abuse my radios. I use the orange top button for encryption. So to me, they are equal. However, you can purchase higher cap batteries for the 5000, vs the 2500.

Status
Not open for further replies.