• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

xts2500/xts5000 assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrunkLatcher

Hello,
I need some help deciding which bandsplits to take a look at. Specifically, I am trying to figure out how low the upper UHF range 2 can go using the forced cps method. I am planning on using it to monitor some local agencies that are in the UHF range 2 (up to 508.xxxx mhz believe) as well as monitor some lower uhf band things and use it for ham use in the uhf band. I would get a radio with FPP. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Not much of a problem to get an S split radio down to 440. I haven't tried it any lower. Also P25 seems uneffected down to 440 also, works great on my rigs. I don't know if you can FPP an out band frequency, some others will know and chime in I'm sure.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I use a range 2 on 440 ham band. Works well for me. I need the 470+ freqs also.

Frank

TrunkLatcher

On the lower uhf split how high can I go? I am trying to monitor some public safety p25 non-trunking which I would set and leave alone but I want the FPP for the ham band. The public safety, (LAPD), I believe their highest frequency that I would want to pick up is around 508. something mhz. Thanks for the help.

TrunkLatcher

Also, what is the approximate value/reasonable price of a mint 380-470 mhz 5000 and a 450-520 mhz? Thanks.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
On the lower uhf split how high can I go? I am trying to monitor some public safety p25 non-trunking which I would set and leave alone but I want the FPP for the ham band. The public safety, (LAPD), I believe their highest frequency that I would want to pick up is around 508. something mhz. Thanks for the help.

You're definitely not going to be able to push a low split XTS up to 508Mhz.

You'll need an S split to do that.

fdnyradio

Premium Subscriber
If you know the right people and can get a copy of the modified file for the ASTRO RSS you can take a Low split radio and take it from 380 to 520....If you are just recieving....Transmitting your gonna get to much deviation. It is definatly possible to do though. As far as FPP....Again if you know the right people then you can get an XTS to FPP out of band....Very Difficult though. Not really worth it if you ask me. Radio is capable of 1000 channels....Program everything once and never do it again unless you need to. Or do what I do and carry you program cable around in your laptop bag.

TrunkLatcher

How do I go back to RSS if the radio has a new host and DSP? I think I'm out of luck with a new xts5000 and RSS. I don't have RSS (and can't buy it anymore) and I would want to do programming myself (for enjoyment, education, control and experience). I think I'm stuck getting either 2 radios (an s and q split) or somehow getting fpp out of band on a xts5000 upper split. I need FPP for the ham use so I can pop in frequencies when I am in different areas.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
If you know the right people and can get a copy of the modified file for the ASTRO RSS you can take a Low split radio and take it from 380 to 520....If you are just recieving....Transmitting your gonna get to much deviation. It is definatly possible to do though. As far as FPP....Again if you know the right people then you can get an XTS to FPP out of band....Very Difficult though. Not really worth it if you ask me. Radio is capable of 1000 channels....Program everything once and never do it again unless you need to. Or do what I do and carry you program cable around in your laptop bag.

No low split Q model will go the whole band 380-520 the rf section wont allow it. The tuning settings for the RX would be so screwed that the radio would be litterally deaf at one end of the band

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
How do I go back to RSS if the radio has a new host and DSP? I think I'm out of luck with a new xts5000 and RSS. I don't have RSS (and can't buy it anymore) and I would want to do programming myself (for enjoyment, education, control and experience). I think I'm stuck getting either 2 radios (an s and q split) or somehow getting fpp out of band on a xts5000 upper split. I need FPP for the ham use so I can pop in frequencies when I am in different areas.

XTS5000 doesnt use RSS it uses CPS.

bezking

FFMP571 is correct. If you are actually using DOS-based RSS, you are probably using the old Astro RSS which is only for the XTS3000/Astro Sabers.

TrunkLatcher

Ok. I didn't think that there was RSS for the 5000. How hard is it and is it even possible to make the radio FPP out of band (lower on the S split)? Or does this require swapping controller boards (with the other band) and other potentially not-smart stuff?

TrunkLatcher

I tried looking up some other sources and could not find a definitive answer on FPPing out of band freqs or how high a low split can go on the 5000. Is there anyone who knows or has had experience with this?

com501

You can edit the bandsplit limits in the CPS, the radio may or may not operate outside its published limits. All the info is available and easy to do if you can hexedit.

com501

You can tell the radio to go out of band by editing the cps. How far it goes is a function of the hardware, not what you program in. Typically, my VHF radios that I had to edit stopped at 146, but when I allowed programming lower, they went well down to 140. UHF radios should be about the same, if you have a 470-520 radio, don't expect the 440 ham band, but you will probably get down a few megs into the top of the 460's.

TrunkLatcher

Ok. If I'm getting it straight there is no FPP for out of band so if I want FPP in the ham band I need a separate band split radio than the S split. (I think that would be the Q split). Also, how many channels on the xts5000? I have seen varying numbers- mostly 875 or 850 and 1000. Which is it? Another question I have is does motorola make a USB programming cable for the xts5000 or am I stuck with a USB to serial converter? If so which converters work? Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.