• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS2500I FPP Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,
I need some help with an issue.I have a Motorola XTS2500I Model III FPP (Model Number: H46KDH9PW7AN) I opened the case up to my radio because I thought something was loose. It would shut off every time I sat down. I pulled to hard a ripped off the pin that holds the larger cable to the radio to the housing. I have posted pictures to show exactly what I am talking about. I have looked on ebay for a few that are priced around the $150-170 mark. I don't currently see any at the moment but I'm sure they will pop back up. I don't know exactly which one to by. Im assuming I need anything with "AN" and not "BN" or does this matter. Also, if anyone knows another source to get these or to get this radio fixed for a good price please let me know. I really don't want to go over $170.00 Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• img01.JPG
    img01.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 453
  • img02.JPG
    img02.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 408
  • img03.JPG
    img03.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 473
  • img04.JPG
    img04.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 482
  • img06.JPG
    img06.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 477

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
H46KDH9PW7AN

EDIT: Is the radio an XTS2500i or XTS2500? (i.e. is it the intrinsically safe radio?)

Assuming this is an actual 4MB factory original radio, you almost certainly need an AN housing. There is some minor alterations, if I remember correctly, that you'd need to make to a BN housing to fit an AN backplate into the BN housing.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
H46KDH9PW7AN

EDIT: Is the radio an XTS2500i or XTS2500? (i.e. is it the intrinsically safe radio?)

Assuming this is an actual 4MB factory original radio, you almost certainly need an AN housing. There is some minor alterations, if I remember correctly, that you'd need to make to a BN housing to fit an AN backplate into the BN housing.

The "I" is for immersible not instrict. I think you're right on the an and bn part. It's been a while since I've had one apart.

jruta

Doesn't look like an "I" version to me. No vent / pressure test fitting on the backplane. Can't tell if it's an an or bn version from the back. Does it have "finger grooves" on the side of the housing?

SCPD

QRT
Once in Rome I took a AN housing and fitted it to a BN for a ham user. Minor dremmle work on the interior of the face plate housing but it worked and still does to date for him. Would I pass it for public safety use, no. Does it work yeah and did not take allot to alter.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If you didn't break the tabs off of the connector, that piece will just snap back into the white connector on the keypad board. If you broke the tabs off, then a standard board can be found for pretty cheap, but if you need encryption, then that is where the $170 price tags are coming from.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone for replying.

Doesn't look like an "I" version to me. No vent / pressure test fitting on the backplane. Can't tell if it's an an or bn version from the back. Does it have "finger grooves" on the side of the housing?
It does not have finger grooves on the side of the housing.

If you didn't break the tabs off of the connector, that piece will just snap back into the white connector on the keypad board. If you broke the tabs off, then a standard board can be found for pretty cheap, but if you need encryption, then that is where the $170 price tags are coming from.
I was unfortunate enough to break the tab off.

I decided to go ahead and buy a "Like-New" housing for the model 3 that is the 4 meg version/AN type from Panter88. Thats the only one I could find right now. will I have to reprogram the radio or do I just plug in the cables and snap everything back together?

Also, I don't know the radio anatomy at all but I noticed that on one of the boards it said "VHF/UHF" what does this mean?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber

Just to clarify, The new housing that I ordered does have the finger grooves on it.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You didn't need to buy the whole housing. You could have just bought the keypad board. The shield snaps in to hold the board and keypad in place.

But since you did, just keep what you have as spares. The keypads have a protective coating that wears off over time and they become very nasty looking. Since you have that spare now, you can use it in the future if your ever becomes sticky/dirty.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Well at least I have some spare parts now. It should be here around the 30th. I don't really like the idea of ordering from Hong Kong, but It seems like that's the cheapest option. Thank you for all the replies.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I didnt see the posting already suggesting this.,,,

Well you didnt need a new housing. Motorola sells the keypad board which has a new connector on it. They are roughly 20-30 dollars.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
When this comes in, will this be as simple as just connecting the two cables and putting it back together or am I going to have to reprogram the radio?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Just connect the cables and put the radio back together. No programming needed. I would suggest using an anti-static strap though.

Last edited:

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
New issue

So I just received the housing for my xts2500. It came complete with the housing of course with display and keyboard (already assembled). I got everything connected, you can hear it click on, and can hear all the radio traffic on it. (Won't transmit) cause I had it in TX INHIBIT mode. However, the display shows nothing. It will light up when I hit the orange button (I had it programmed for backlight). No characters or symbols show up, just a blank screen. Anyone have any solutions?

SCPD

QRT
Ensure the ribbon cables are seated properly. The display itself is seated properly, and connected properly and no damage exists around the display ribbon.

There also is a chance you got a 700 mhz display. I forget off head it's been while but using a display for one or other on another band model would cause the no text or light text, or text to vanish or do odd things when transmitting.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I just reconnected everything. I insured the ribbon cable are seated correctly and secured. I also iNsured the cable for the LCD screen was inserted correctly. I'm still having the same issue.

SCPD

QRT
You most likely have a lcd that is for a 7/800 model. Or vice versa. I recall one band type the lcd is similar however has differences internally. The lcd itself not the housing or the keypad.

Status
Not open for further replies.