• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 Monitoring Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathkukoo

Hi All, hoping you might have some ideas on a problem I am having programming a recently acquired XTS3000.

Here is the situation: The radio system that we use where I work is an analog UHF system. We used to use a local Vertex dealer to program all of our radios, but as part of my position when I was hired (and budget cuts) I was tasked with sourcing and programming our radios. One of the requests when I took over was to program the local fire department in as an RX only frequency for our security department radios. The purpose of this was so they would be able to meet the fire department if there was an emergency to assist/provide more information to the fire department when they arrive, as opposed to waiting for the 911 center to follow-up with a call. The old scenario had their radios programmed with this RX only frequency as a scan, with their own TX/RX channel as a priority.

Our system was working great until our city moved over to using P25 for the fire department. I ordered and have been testing an XTS3000 in the hopes that I could program something similar to what we had before. The city system is nothing fancy, just a conventional system that was moved from analog to P25 for the fire department frequency. Unfortunately the only way I seem to be able to monitor is by programming this frequency as a mixed mode, selecting that frequency on the radio, and then setting the monitor with the key on the side. When the monitor is not on, the radio is flashing red, indicating it is receiving the transmissions, just not putting through the speaker. (This does work when the personality is set to be Astro only instead of analog, I just can't seem to lock the monitor on) I've tried messing with the And/Or/Standard settings for squelch, but none of the three options seem to be working. It should be noted that all of the frequencies that are TX/RX on our company frequencies do work OK, but they are analog only not P25.

I'm sure that there is something simple I am missing, but I have been wracking my brain for the past couple days trying to figure this out. I'm sure part of it is my lack of familiarity with Motorola's CPS since I am more accustomed to Vertex's software. I've checked other posts on the forum, but the only workaround some people have had it seems is by modifying the squelch settings of MDC (which I don't think applies in this specific situation). Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

mathkukoo

I hadn't checked the NAC before - From what Motorola's documentation says, changing from 293 to F7E should make it monitor all Astro traffic?

The Rx Unmute Rule is also something that may need to be changed...I set it to digital CSQ, but that doesn't seem to work either.

I guess the ultimate goal would be for the channel that is on an Astro personality to show a speaker on the display (indicating a monitor lock I believe) similar to other analog frequencies.

mathkukoo

Gosh I feel like a noob...but the NAC was definitely the issue. After that, the squelch was set too high, leading to only choppy receiving. Once this was adjusted down to a lower level, the receiving was much better :)

Only other issue I have been having that I am sure is a simple fix is that I can't seem to get the Astro personalities to be audible during a scan. The analog personalities break the scan just fine, but the Astro channels will not be heard during scan. If I stop scan, however, the channel will give audio just fine. I have checked the scan list, and it is a member. In the channel personality, it is a member of the scan group, but I must be missing something...

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
That's alright, it happens to all of us! I too thought F7E would do the trick but I'll admit to not having much experience with that as I've always used matching NACs. However, that's great it appeared to fix your initial issue.

Hmm, I'll have to dig through a codeplug (have access to many on my work computer) and see if anything stands out to me. I have a mix of analog and P25 members in the same scan list in my XTS5000 and have no problem with unmuting them.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the F7E "Carrier Squelch" NAC was ever rolled out to the XTS firmware.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
F7E is not an option in the Astro Saber or XTS3000. You can put it in but it wont work

mathkukoo

I seem to be able to monitor traffic on RX with the F7E set on the CPS - it seems unlikely that the traffic on the channel would be without some sort of carrier squelch, but possibly it is...Maybe there is some sort other setting I hit to allow this?

The bigger issue now seems to be with the stopping on the scan. If I turn off the scan function and change to that specific channel, I can hear traffic no problem, but getting that to break the scan seems to be the issue. Its part of the scan list, but who knows. If you find something KG4INW, I'd be forever in your debt!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Are you set for Digital Squelch or Normal Squelch?

Digital Squelch let's all digital traffic through regardless of NAC or talkgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.