• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 on a digital trunked system

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to buy a pair of XTS3000's one will be a Model II and the other will be a Model III

The flashcode on the Model II comes up with:
Q806/G806 IMBE / APCO-25 Digital Operation
H14/G114 Digital ID Display
H868/W969 Multikey Operation
G170/H43 Remote Monitor and Radio Trace
H46 One-Touch Operation
H38/G51 Smartzone Operation
Q387 Conventional voting scan
Q173/G173 Smartzone OmniLink Operation

And the flashcode on the Model III comes up with:
G806/Q806 G806 ASTRO Digital Operation / Q806 ASTRO Digital Operation
G114/H14 G114 Enhanced Digital ID Display / H14 Enhanced Digital ID Display
G51/H38 G51 SMARTZONE Systems Operation / H38 SMARTZONE Systems Operation
G387/Q387 G387 Conventional Voting Scan / Q387 Conventional Voting Scan
G173/Q173 G173 SMARTZONE OMNILINK Multizone Operation / Q173 SMARTZONE OMNILINK Multizone Operation

I was wondering if either or both of these be able to work on a P25 Digital Trunked System as receive only radios. The reason i am wondering is currently on firegrounds (i am a photographer) i carry a 477mhz CB and a Digital Scanner and i would rather consolidate this in to one unit.

My understanding from these flash codes is the Model II would be fine but not the Model III?

They both operate on my desired frequencies.

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Neither one will work on P25 trunking.
You need a Flascode that says ASTRO 25 trunking or 9600 buad digital trunking.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, howeer would i be correct in assuming both will work on non digital trunked systems?

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks, howeer would i be correct in assuming both will work on non digital trunked systems?
They will both work on digital trunked systems, just not P25 systems.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, the dept I want tomonitr currently uses a motorola standard trunked network which is not digital, my understanding is both units will work fine with that? My only concern is in 2012 they plan to switch to digital, although 2 years use is fine, more would be ideal.

K8TEK

Banned
Thanks, the dept I want tomonitr currently uses a motorola standard trunked network which is not digital, my understanding is both units will work fine with that? My only concern is in 2012 they plan to switch to digital, although 2 years use is fine, more would be ideal.
I suggest you get a scanner.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
I suggest you get a scanner.

I already have 3 scanners. I want this unit for a different purpose. To be able to communicate on UHF CB to other photographers and keep up to speed with fireground ops while only carrying one unit. This NSW Department of Commerce (NSWGRN) Trunking System, Various, New South Wales - Scanner Frequencies is the radio system I want to monitor and I understand that will work fine on both the XTS's at the moment before the system goes digital in 2012

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if you are going to "passively" monitor the system with the 3000's or are you legit on the system? Either way if the plan is to go digital in a couple years I would be shopping for a couple XTS2500's or 5000's instead.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
I will simply be monitoring, so not "legit" on the system. While the plan is to go digital in a few years I need the units in a bit of a hurry so for the next 2 years these are fine if they will work on the system?

I hav access to te XTS3000 programming software. Does the 2500 and 5000 models use the same software?

Unfortunately the 2500 and 5000 are not often up for sale locally so I will have to stick it out with the 3000s for a while. From what I can tell they seem to hold their price fairly well though so sale in 2 years won't be too hard atleast.

For future reference, are all 2500 and 5000 units APCO 25 capable?

K8TEK

Banned
I will simply be monitoring, so not "legit" on the system. While the plan is to go digital in a few years I need the units in a bit of a hurry so for the next 2 years these are fine if they will work on the system?

I hav access to te XTS3000 programming software. Does the 2500 and 5000 models use the same software?

Unfortunately the 2500 and 5000 are not often up for sale locally so I will have to stick it out with the 3000s for a while. From what I can tell they seem to hold their price fairly well though so sale in 2 years won't be too hard atleast.

For future reference, are all 2500 and 5000 units APCO 25 capable?
I am not trying to be rude, but if you have to ask the questions you are asking, you shouldn't be programming a radio for use on a TRS.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I know I have limited knowledge. I will also not be the one actually
programing the units I simply need to work out compatibility, someone else will program them but I don't have contact with them at the moment and am looking to make the purchase of the radios this week, hence why I'm asking here. In reality how many end users of most XTS radios have any clue even what a flashcode is. I am getting these so I can perform my job safely and keep in contact with other photographers on a fire scene should I or one of them find ourselves in an undesireable scenario. Any help you can provide in answering my questions is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:

immelmen

FYI, it looks like the 3000s your looking at and the TRS your interested in are UHF....Motorola did not produce ANY xts3000 with the 9600 p25 trunking capable R06.x firmware in them(only an option on 800mhz radios). If you want to do OBT (UHF/VHF) P25 trunking the xts2500 or 5000 are the only game in town from Motorola.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
FYI, it looks like the 3000s your looking at and the TRS your interested in are UHF....Motorola did not produce ANY xts3000 with the 9600 p25 trunking capable R06.x firmware in them(only an option on 800mhz radios). If you want to do OBT (UHF/VHF) P25 trunking the xts2500 or 5000 are the only game in town from Motorola.

Thanks but what about using them on a UHF Motorola Type II Smartzone system like the on I linked half way through this thread?

K8TEK

Banned
You can't scan a conventional channel while monitoring a TRS.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber

I understand that, I would manually switch between the two I simply need to know will it work with the Type 2 smartzone trunk system?

SCPD

QRT
Yes you can. You have to use talkgroup scan list. If you use priority scan list then you can only scan trunking systems. Talkgroup scan list option allows you to scan both conventional and trunking. You are limited to ten member of the scan list.

obijohn

I understand that, I would manually switch between the two I simply need to know will it work with the Type 2 smartzone trunk system?

You will not be able to program the radio for "receive only" on a smartzone system.
The radio will want to "affiliate" with the zone controller, and to do that, it needs to have a radio ID.

If the radio is authorized on this system then yes, it will work-so I guess that answers your question.

You will have to do talkgroup scan by programming the channels in conventional receive only personalities
if the radio is not authorized for the trunking system.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
You will not be able to program the radio for "receive only" on a smartzone system.
The radio will want to "affiliate" with the zone controller, and to do that, it needs to have a radio ID.

If the radio is authorized on this system then yes, it will work-so I guess that answers your question.

You will have to do talkgroup scan by programming the channels in conventional receive only personalities
if the radio is not authorized for the trunking system.

You obviously have never tried this before have you. The radio won't affilate if set up properly but will track and scan talk groups and/or convential channels just fine. And from the sounds of it the OP is familure with doing this....I hope.

SCPD

QRT
If the OP is not familiar with it he will have an expensive paperweight. It's not that hard to do either.

ILMRadioMan

Dont forget the 1500 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.