• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

xts3000 programming help and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxbryantd

Got a xts3000 vhf radio im attempting to program with the astro software. I didnt have an old computer with the correct connection, so I was told to try my luck with a usb adapter.
Purchased adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUZ0K68/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

then I got a RIB-less RS-232 Programming Cable off of ebay.
It shows up under com ports, but unable to read from radio.
Drivers are installed. Anyone have any hints of suggestions to get it to work? I know when programming my ht1250's I have to roll back the driver to an older version.

N4KVE

Many times the USB/serial adaptors do not work. Depends on the chip they used. I do not use them for this reason,& own a few $50 laptops with real serial ports. Easy to find XP machines for $50.

xxbryantd

Many times the USB/serial adaptors do not work. Depends on the chip they used. I do not use them for this reason,& own a few $50 laptops with real serial ports. Easy to find XP machines for $50.

I ended up finding a computer with a serial port on it. Installed the program and still cant read from radio. Maybe im using the wrong program to read from it?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Something's to take note on. Astros are very picky about programming with 64 bit Operating systems. Some get them to work, others never do. I've never had an issue programming via USB to RS-232. I used the Iogear adapter (which is the one recommended by Motorola for all legacy programming via adapter).

The computers I have at home are all either Windows 7 32 bit or in the case of my CF-28, XP/DOS. In the case of my work laptop, Windows 7 64 bit, I have to run the CPS in XP Mode and link the COM port (I also have to do this for MTR2000 and 1225 RSS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxbryantd

clbsquared

I've never put alot of faith in those inexpensive cables. Some people have good luck with them, though. If you've selected the correct com port in CPS that corresponds with the com port on the computer, and it's not reading the radio, I would suspect a bad cable. However it could always be a host of other things. You can try cleaning the contacts on the radio with a q tip and some rubbing alcohol to make sure you're getting a good connection.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

xxbryantd

I've never put alot of faith in those inexpensive cables. Some people have good luck with them, though. If you've selected the correct com port in CPS that corresponds with the com port on the computer, and it's not reading the radio, I would suspect a bad cable. However it could always be a host of other things. You can try cleaning the contacts on the radio with a q tip and some rubbing alcohol to make sure you're getting a good connection.

Dumb question but when I plug into the actual serial port, does it require a driver to be installed? If so the computer has no internet, so that might be my issue to.

xxbryantd

The serial converter requires a driver. Yes. As does the RIBless cable.

I have the driver cd for the converter, but what driver does the ribless cable use? so I can download at home and use a usb to transfer it to the other computer

clbsquared

I am in no way endorsing this seller, however, I purchased a setup like this for my XTS2500 a couple of years ago before I got the proper cables from Motorola. It worked....and still works without issue. My intention of posting this link is for you to read the information this seller has kindly placed in his ad. It just might help you get where you need to be. Valley Enterprise also has some good info on their website.

FTDI USB Programming Cable Motorola XTS3000 XTS3500 XTS3500R USB-MHT-1K | eBay

https://www.valley-ent.com/store/two-way-radio/programming-cables

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
If I read he original post correctly, the ribless cable is serial which would not require a driver. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is correct. I use one from an EBay seller called Kawamall,I believe is his name.
My ribless serial cable is connected to my Toughbook CF-52 running XP-32bit. Not ONE single problem reading or writing to any of my 4 XTS 3000 portables. Never needed any drivers.

Manny

cmdrwill

That is correct. I use one from an EBay seller called Kawamall,I believe is his name.
My ribless serial cable is connected to my Toughbook CF-52 running XP-32bit. Not ONE single problem reading or writing to any of my 4 XTS 3000 portables. Never needed any drivers.

Manny

Same here, Kawamall cable, and a real serial port. Al tho they call the cable "ribless' it does match the RS232 Serial Standard exactly. Where as the Motorola R.I.B. does not.

If you are on a computer that has a serial port then you would use com1 for your to ribless cable. Always restart if it does not work just to be sure. What does the software say when you try to read the radio? This will tell if the cable is even communicating with the radio. Next thing to try is either different radio or different cable. I have received a bad cable before.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Also check in the BIOS what port the serial is set to. It should be one but it could also be set to two but as the others stated it doesn't require any driver at all and stay away from USB adapters. I use the ribless cable with mine without issue and it even works with my HT1000's under DOS. It should work fine under W2K but I'd try to find an XP machine as they are two different beasts.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.