• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 PTT button

Status
Not open for further replies.

katt02

Katt
Hi all,

Has anyone had problems with their xts3000 ptt buttons? I noticed not long ago that I have to use a lot of force to use the ptt and that it seems to bend a lot and sometimes if I don't use enough force it will stop transmitting in the middle of a sentence.

I am wondering if anyone knows how to replace the button and make it better, or if there is some other easier solutions. Also, if I had to replace the button then where could I get a replacement? Could I go to the local moto dealer or would I have to consult the internet? Finally, how hard is it to replace a part like that. Would it be best to let a professional or semi-pro do the work or should I attempt this myself.

Thanks, Katt

kjl13

QRT
Hi all,

Has anyone had problems with their xts3000 ptt buttons? I noticed not long ago that I have to use a lot of force to use the ptt and that it seems to bend a lot and sometimes if I don't use enough force it will stop transmitting in the middle of a sentence.

I am wondering if anyone knows how to replace the button and make it better, or if there is some other easier solutions. Also, if I had to replace the button then where could I get a replacement? Could I go to the local moto dealer or would I have to consult the internet? Finally, how hard is it to replace a part like that. Would it be best to let a professional or semi-pro do the work or should I attempt this myself.

Thanks, Katt

Never had this problem, but in general they have a require some force.

And to replace it you need to replace the housing. You could get a replacement housing on eBay, or other sites but I would get it from a Motorola Dealership. And you may be able to do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Your better off finding a used or replacement on Ebay.. the XTS3000 has been EOL for almost 10 years and getting it from a dealer who may even have it will be extremely expensive.

kjl13

QRT
Your better off finding a used or replacement on Ebay.. the XTS3000 has been EOL for almost 10 years and getting it from a dealer who may even have it will be extremely expensive.

Dealers can get it from Motorola, they have done it for me.

katt02

Katt
Ok. If I were to just order the part with a kit to open the radio how much does anyone think it would cost. Also, if I were to have a moto tech replace it how much would that be.

And I have tested my XTS against 2 others that some friends have and mine is significantly worse than theirs. When I press the button it almost bends inward.

kjl13

QRT
Ok. If I were to just order the part with a kit to open the radio how much does anyone think it would cost. Also, if I were to have a moto tech replace it how much would that be.

And I have tested my XTS against 2 others that some friends have and mine is significantly worse than theirs. When I press the button it almost bends inward.

Not sure what you mean by a kit, but the housing should only be 30-70 dollars dependent on where you buy it. And a tech would install it for around 100-200 is estimate.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I wonder how they get me them then, they come brand new.

They might have a good supply of NOS items, otherwise I'm not sure. Definitely not supported anymore. I just looked on MOL and concur with Mike.

They've become so cheap these days, it might even be easier to simply get another radio. That is, if you can verify if it's in better shape than yours.

kjl13

QRT
They might have a good supply of NOS items, otherwise I'm not sure. Definitely not supported anymore. I just looked on MOL and concur with Mike.

They've become so cheap these days, it might even be easier to simply get another radio. That is, if you can verify if it's in better shape than yours.

Ah ok.

XTS3000

If your an individual trying to order certain older parts, Motorola will say they are no longer available. If your a Motorola dealer, these parts are still available. I’ve ordered certain PA’s and other parts and Motorola wanted the serial number of the radio before admitting they were available. It all depends on your tier/dealer status with Motorola if they will sell certain parts for radios they no longer support.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
A tech to install a new case $100-200... It's a 5 min job...LOL and if your getting them new.. someone is buying them from Panter88 and selling them to you.. They are for certain NLA I can't get 3000 parts on a Gov account...

XTS3000

A tech to install a new case $100-200... It's a 5 min job...LOL and if your getting them new.. someone is buying them from Panter88 and selling them to you.. They are for certain NLA I can't get 3000 parts on a Gov account...

I ordered a model 2 XTS3000 case directly from Motorola along with a bunch of other parts. The order was flagged and Motorola wanted the serial number of the radio needing a new case. Once my purchasing agent at work provided the serial number of the radio, I got the case 2 days later directly from the Elgin, IL parts center, brand new and NOT a Panter case!

Same thing happened when I needed a PA for a CM200. Motorola wanted the serial number of the radio before releasing the part.

Certain parts are NLA for most people because they have very limited supply. But if your a real dealer who does $10 million+/yr of sales, you get special treatment.

K2NEC

My personal XTS5000 has a nice click to it but a buddy of mine's XTS3000 has the same issue. It's difficult to press and he has to watch the transmit light to make sure his finger is applying the right amount of pressure.

XTS3000

The XTS3000 PTT mechanism contains 3 parts. The PTT paddle, rubber insert, and finally the metal popple.

In the past, I’ve removed the PTT paddle and used a new rubber PTT insert from a BPR40. Had to cut the rubber insert to fit the 3K. Worked like a champ. The 3K PTT had a “hair trigger” and took almost no pressure to engage transmit.

It’s the rubber insert that, over time, turns to mush and makes the PTT hard to activate.

I’d never do this for public safety customers/clients, but for hammy and GMRS users, sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.