• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Xts3000 randomly restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbnv992

I’ve got an XTS3000 UHF model 2 that keeps randomly restarting. Does it usually when I’m scrolling through channels via the channel selector, or even just when picking up the radio.
It has a genuine Motorola battery ( old impress battery date code sometime around 2014) , however I notice that when I transmit even though it’s not emitting a “low battery chirp” that when I key up, it briefly flashes the battery icon and chirps. If it’s just RX’ing and staying on a table it never restarts. It can sit just RX’ing for most of the day but anytime you go to transmit the battery icon flashes and it chirps.
I don’t have another spare battery to Test that it’s the battery, but I ordered brand new 4500MAH impress battery’s and hope that’s the issue.
I tried to clean the battery contacts but it still happens. Doesn’t happen very often at all just once in awhile.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Does it reset when you TX? If so I would agree that the battery is bad, but the fact that it does it when changing channels it could be a bad flex PCB. The AN's (last two of the model number) were real bad for that but even now the BN's are getting old.

Jim

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The IMPRES batteries don't play nice with the XTS3000s. The one wire chip can cause issues including premature low battery indication, radio resetting on transmit, and exactly what the O/P describes. Simple test: try covering the MIDDLE contact with electrical tape on the battery, and see if the problem persists.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
The IMPRES batteries don't play nice with the XTS3000s. The one wire chip can cause issues including premature low battery indication, radio resetting on transmit, and exactly what the O/P describes. Simple test: try covering the MIDDLE contact with electrical tape on the battery, and see if the problem persists.
Oh. . . Good to know!

mbnv992

Interesting.
Thanks for the help guys !
I’ll try tomorrow with the electrical tape trick and see if that works.
And nope - it does not reset when I transmit. When I TX the battery icon on the display flashes and it chirps. As soon as I stop transmitting, the battery icon goes away and the chirping stops. Doesn’t start again until I transmit.
This is a BN model for what it’s worth.
At the end of the day, this is an almost 20 year old radio and is definitely not in everyday field use. Just something I’m tinkering around with. Been mostly on my desk.

Dumb question - but if I bought a non-impress battery for my 3000, would an Impress charger charge it ?
Reason I wanted to get the 4500mah impress batteries are mainly for my 5000. Only one I have left for my 5000 is getting up there in age too.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
A little more on the issue with IMPRES batteries and XTS3000s, including some abstract from the actual Motorola SRN (now they call SRNs "MTNs"...whatever)

SERVICE AND REPAIR NOTES
Bulletin
TECHNICAL INFORMATION /COMMERCIAL, GOVERNMENT & INDUSTRIAL SOLUTIONS SECTOR
If applicable, enter this information or note this bulletin number and subject material in the appropriate equipment instruction manuals and
make necessary schematic diagram changes. Enter this bulletin in the correct MASTER and CLASSIFIED INDICES for future reference.
Labor and/or parts warranty reference is limited to products sold and in use in the United States. For products sold
and in use Internationally, this bulletin is for informational purposes only. Radios that are Agency Approved must
follow designated agency guidelines.
SRN-ISO
This SRN supersedes SRN1463 SRN - 1463A
APC - 326, 620
August 2004
Informational Only
Distribution: Service: MOL: Two Way Portable
Subject: XTS3000 PREMATURE LOW BATTERY ALERT/ DISTORTED OR NO TX AUDIO
Symptoms:
The XTS3000 units may experience premature low battery alerts and/or distorted TX audio when used with IMPRES “smart”
battery packs NNTN4435, NNTN4436, NNTN4437, HNN9031, HNN9032, and NTN9862.
Potential Problem Chargers:
All XTS3000 with firmware prior to R07.20.00 that uses the IMPRES “smart” batteries NNTN4435, NNTN4436, NNTN4437,
HNN9031, HNN9032, and NTN9862.
Cause:
This is due to stray or parasitic capacitance on the center data pin of the IMPRES battery packs. This capacitance can cause an
oscillating condition on the data pin, which can make the radio misinterpret and indecisive about what battery pack type is
connected to the radio. The radio software may revert to clamshell battery defaults, which is a higher low-battery alert
indication threshold and low-power output. Premature low-battery alert indication will be the result, even though full capacity
of the battery is available.
Also, if the parasitic oscillation frequency falls within the audio bandwidth, this may modulate the transmitted signal and will
be demodulated by the receiving unit as undesired audio noise.
Corrective Action:
Option 1 - Use of Battery Insulator kit RLN5649A. The kit includes battery contact insulators and instructions on how to
apply them to the battery center contact. Kits are available at no charge. Contact AAD @ (800)422-4210 for availability.
Option 2 - Upgrade software with enhanced Clamshell detection software (version R07.20.00 or greater). Please contact
Subscriber Support Team @ 800-927-2744 to obtain information to obtain the upgrade kit.
Informational Only. No Labor or Warranty Implied or Intended.

mbnv992

Nice ! Thanks for the quick replies !

Nice to see old Batlabs members here too. Been on Batlabs since the beginning and have purchased MTS2000’s from you and my one and only xts5000R I got from Jim ( N7MAQ ) going on almost 8-9 years ago now. Batlabs has been nowhere near as busy as back in the day.
You and Jim have helped me out a lot through the years. Good to see you guys around and posting !
Mike B

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
I loved batlabs! I still go there to find info for older stuff. The forums were the best, I learned so much from them in my younger days as a tech. I miss Monty. He was a wealth of information. He helped me through my woes with the MT/MTS2000s.

As for your XTS 3000 problem, check the power connections on the back of the radio. I have seen a few that have gotten loose over time and have caused the issue you describe. Like the others said, check the battery too, IMPRESS and the old XTS's do not get along.

mbnv992

The black tape seemed to have done the trick. Haven’t noticed any random reboots since.
Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.