• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 Screen replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoguy2

HI guys,

Right now I have the opportunity to buy a XTS3000 for a very, very good price. The only issue is that the display is shot. Assuming that I can get a replacement display, how hard is it to swap? I have fixed lots of Jedi, (Mostly HT1000s, I maintain several fleets of them), but have never touched the insides of an XTS.

Thanks

Matt

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
I would have to say they are easier than any MTS2000 or other Jedi screen. Simply remove the housing (carefully), find the flex connector for the screen on the left side, pop off the metal clip, then do the previous steps in reverse. Make sure the firmware version will support the new screen as it may not if it is an older version firmware.

When you put the metal clip on the new flex, make sure the ribs on the contact side don't block the contacts between the radio and the flex. It will ground out the radio and prevent it from turning on, leading to alot of headaches and it will seem as if the radio is dead when in reality it is not.

Last edited:

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
I'll add that there is housing removal tool that will make removing the housing a lot easier and prevents damage.

Also if the display is just missing pixels, I've had some luck with a heat gun. Remove the lcd and apply heat to the problem areas.

SCPD

QRT
I'll add that there is housing removal tool that will make removing the housing a lot easier and prevents damage.

Little more info on this.

OP should keep in mind that there are two chassis removal tools. One is for XTS 3000/5000 and the other is for XTS 2500. They are different and not interchangeable. Careful when searching for this tool -- don't be fooled by "XTS Series Chassis Tool".

Motorola's P/N is 6685833D01. The list price is $17... don't pay too much more than that.

XTS 3000/5000 Chassis Tool:
Motorola XTS3000 XTS5000 Chassis Housing Casting Opener Tool P N 6685833D01 | eBay

XTS 3000 LCD Display -- pricey little bastard:
XTS3000 Handheld Transceiver LCD Screen Display Module | eBay

XTS 3000 Service Manuals (free!):
https://www.p25.ca/threads/67-XTS3000-XTS3500-XTVA-Manuals

hitechRadio

If your not a radio shop repairing these radio's, you don't need the tool.
Just be VERY gentle with a flat blade small screw driver prying the chassis out. And remove the antenna.

Clean the Case and Chasis free of dirt where the gasket would lay.
Lube up the o-ring with some silicone grease, will make it easier to get it back together.

It is a real easy fix!

SCPD

QRT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16-5) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

hitechRadio said:
If your not a radio shop repairing these radio's, you don't need the tool.
Just be VERY gentle with a flat blade small screw driver prying the chassis out. And remove the antenna.

Clean the Case and Chasis free of dirt where the gasket would lay.
Lube up the o-ring with some silicone grease, will make it easier to get it back together.

It is a real easy fix!

Or he could get the tool and do it right. Have some pride...

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
First..get the tool.. screwdriver will crack the case no matter how gentile .. Second you dont need to lube any gaskets. If you have the tool it is not an issue. don't be a hack

W0JJK

The screens are no longer available from motorola. I tried to get some off of MOL last year.

hitechRadio

First..get the tool.. screwdriver will crack the case no matter how gentile .. Second you dont need to lube any gaskets. If you have the tool it is not an issue. don't be a hack

Thats BULL i have opened many, many cases and have never ever cracked a case. Then finally did get the tool, still use a screw driver from time to time when I can not find the $17 dollar piece of plastic.

THE KEY IS NOT TO PRY TO FAR OUT AND BE GENTLE! Use I believe it is a number 3 flat blade, small but not to small.

To the OP, If you think you do need the tool, then by all means get the tool. I am just saying it is not absolutely necessary.
But I would suggest, save your money! If your not doing this all the time, don't worry about it.

It already sounds like the OP knows what he is doing, Quote: "I always did fine with two screwdrivers" I am sure he will be fine without the tool on the XTS.

As far as the lubing and cleaning the gasket surface areas. Why would a person not, the gasket is for sealing the radio. While you have it open just takes a minute to do. And you will know that atleast it is probably sealed up good.

And since you guys are suggesting buying the tool for a one time job. I will suggest he buys the vacuum and pressure pump to test the seal, since the suggestion of not cleaning the seal, he will probably need those tools also!.
Might as well go all the way, jeeze! Dont be a hack!

Last edited:

photoguy2

Thanks everyone, another local HAM ended buying the radio before me, but I'm still on the lookout for an XTS. Maybe an 2500.

I think I will end up getting the tool. Jedi cases are a lot cheaper then xts cases. The tool is less than a new xts case ;-).

How much do the pumps cost? I figured like everything thing else Moto, they would be ridiculously expensive. (Case in point, $500 crimp tool for maxtracs.)

I finally went ahead and put in a app for MOL, so hopefully getting this stuff should not be an issue.

Matt

hitechRadio

I memory serves me, they are $90 bucks ea. for the pumps.
Funny you mention those crimpers, friend of mine just bought a set for $350. Not sure where he purchased it from, it was not from Moto.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The tool will prolong the life of the case and makes proper disassembly and re-assembly effortless and will not leave tool marks or risk damage to the housing. Yes, it is POSSIBLE to get an XTS apart using similar tools, a metal butter knife can be used if it's THIN and rigid enough.

But as you have said, with the XTS3K/5K cases becoming more of a commodity now that they are discontinued products, the tool will ensure you won't hose up a housing.

This guy is a respected reseller of XTS radios and has some good instructional videos showing the use of the tool:

Motorola XTS3000 Model I - Disassembly; Checking For Enctyption Boards - Reassembly - YouTube

He also does a similar video on the XTS2500/Kramer radios showing the use of that tool, which is REQUIRED to properly get into a Kramer without marring up the housing. Marring up a housing does more than just make it look ghetto, it also compromises the sealing area of the O-ring.

MOTOROLA XTS2500 DETAILED TUTORIAL - HOW TO DISASSEMBLE AND DO A COMPLETE TRANSPLANT - YouTube

hitechRadio

A guy with the name Hitec giving out incorrect info. Thats Radioreference for ya..

Incorrect huh! LOL
So you suggest he gets the tool, thats great! I just said he does not absolutly need the tool to open the radio, but then you suggest to the OP not lube the gasket while it's open. LMAO! Sounds like your the hack.

The OP said he was going to maybe get the tool, good for the OP, no arguments there, if he thinks he needs it fine by me. But I don't believe the OP would be a HACK if he did open it with a screw driver for a one time deal.

Since you seem to be such a hack and cannot open a radio no matter how gentle with a screw driver. I would highly recommend that you use the tool and get the pumps cause your gonna need it. Come on man don't be a hack get the right tools!

And I guess you also assume that most info is incorrect on RR "Thats Radioreference for ya..", I am not sure why you come here then, it's seems more likley your here to troll, since it's seems it's of usleless incorrect info for you.

hitechRadio

This... +100

You've made your point lotechRadio.

And i will raise it 100 pot is now 200. LOL

Technically, you can probably pry it open with a screwdriver, but most people end up damaging the case and the O-ring.

Here's a little thread showing some success with the heat gun fix...

https://www.p25.ca/threads/3688-XTS3000-VHF-II-Screen-Display

I know you would not have an issue opening the case trip your not most people, yes i know who you are. LOL.......I prefer to keep on the DL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.