• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 VHF Open Carrier Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
So here's an oddball problem I've been having on my XTS3000 VHF. I'm consistently getting an open carrier on one particular frequency, 160.800MHz, which of course I need at home. Sounds stupid simple enough, right?

It's not. It's been giving me an open carrier constantly, in nine states, and three countries on two continents. That includes in the Brooks Range of Alaska, the NRQZ around Sugar Grove, West Virginia, and the interior desert of Australia. Short version? It does this everywhere I have taken it over the last several months for work. Always on the same, one and only frequency, 160.800MHz. Safe to say "local interference/intermod" can be ruled out given the expansive geographical span.

Any of the techs on the forum have an ideas? It's only this one, single frequency, regardless of where I am in the world at the time.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I recall the XTS3000 had issues with self-quieting spurs in the railroad band. Sounds like you found one.

Take the antenna off the radio. If the "open carrier" persists, then you have a self-quieting spur. Absolutely nothing you can do about it.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I recall the XTS3000 had issues with self-quieting spurs in the railroad band. Sounds like you found one.

Take the antenna off the radio. If the "open carrier" persists, then you have a self-quieting spur. Absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Yeah there is, buy another 2-channel HT1000. lol. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see if it persists sans-antenna.

jim202

So here's an oddball problem I've been having on my XTS3000 VHF. I'm consistently getting an open carrier on one particular frequency, 160.800MHz, which of course I need at home. Sounds stupid simple enough, right?

It's not. It's been giving me an open carrier constantly, in nine states, and three countries on two continents. That includes in the Brooks Range of Alaska, the NRQZ around Sugar Grove, West Virginia, and the interior desert of Australia. Short version? It does this everywhere I have taken it over the last several months for work. Always on the same, one and only frequency, 160.800MHz. Safe to say "local interference/intermod" can be ruled out given the expansive geographical span.

Any of the techs on the forum have an ideas? It's only this one, single frequency, regardless of where I am in the world at the time.

I don't have the manual, but my first guess is that it might be a birdie in the receiver itself. Most radios have several frequencies that are listed as causing a problem and so it's listed as do not use as a receive frequency.

Nasby

That freq is a well known birdie with both the XTS3000 and Astro Saber (which share the same guts).

Its one of the reasons I got rid of my Astro Saber and XTS-3000. The mainline thru my town uses 160.800 and I had the constant birdie on both radios.

The XTS-2500 (which I bought as a replacement) and the XTS-5000 do not have this issue.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
That freq is a well known birdie with both the XTS3000 and Astro Saber (which share the same guts).

Its one of the reasons I got rid of my Astro Saber and XTS-3000. The mainline thru my town uses 160.800 and I had the constant birdie on both radios.

The XTS-2500 (which I bought as a replacement) and the XTS-5000 do not have this issue.

Guess it's time to swap out for an XTS2500 then. Thanks for the quick and clear replies fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4KVE

But the XTS2500 could have it's own list of "birdie freq's" which are different from the 3000. You may want to check this out. No radio is birdie proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.