• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Xts3x cps question: securenet or Astro selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

V188

Premium Subscriber
A quick question? I'm programming up some xts3000's. in the cps area, do I select Securenet or Astro?

I've programmed a couple of Astro channels and will use des xl. So I checked the XL block, but am unsure of securenet or Astro. Since I'm not encrypting analog, I'm guessing the answer is Astro?

Thanks much.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Xts3x cps question:securenet or Astro selection

A quick question? I'm programming up some xts3000's. in the cps area, do I select Securenet or Astro?

I've programmed a couple of Astro channels and will use des xl. So I checked the XL block, but am unsure of securenet or Astro. Since I'm not encrypting analog, I'm guessing the answer is Astro?

Thanks much.

Securenet is for Analog and Astro is for Digital. So your answer is securenet because you are programming analog channels.

V188

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick response. A couple more questions?.

1. My ucm is both xl and ofb. (I ran self test). However I only get XL in cps. This is in Astro channels. I can't seem to locate that block. I'd prefer to run ofb, or at least have the option.

2. astro options in cps: which digital modulator type for astro, wide, c4fm or cqpsk.

3. Secure tab: do I check des-xl tx default? It seems that only gives me xl not ofb.

4. Finally, rx unmute rule for Astro? Normal squelch, selective, data and squelch or digital CSS?

Thanks in advance. I've read the cps help over and over. Here and batfiles and google searching. Not ucm actual hands on info.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
The use of XL or OFB is automatic, they both use the same key, the XL portion will be used for analog and the OFB for ASTRO.

I beleive though if you have XL listed in an ASTRO personality it will revert to analog if encryption is used. This comes from my experience where I had a DES-OFB only board on a Analog channel switches the channel to digital when in use. So it could be the same the other way around.

kayfox

In Secure Configuration the check box "XL Encryption" enables XL globally.

On each Conventional Personality, there is a check box "XL Transmit" on the Secure tab, this enables XL for that personality.

If "XL Transmit" is not checked, the radio will transmit with OFB.

Receive is determined automatically, you don't have to configure receive type or key.

hitechRadio

"2. astro options in cps: which digital modulator type for astro, wide, c4fm or cqpsk."

Generally use CQPSK for simulcast systems only. Everything else set for C4FM.

"4. Finally, rx unmute rule for Astro? Normal squelch, selective, data and squelch or digital CSS?"

Digital CSQ is basically comparable to Analog carrier squelch.

Normal Squelch is comparable to having a PL on analog enabled on recieve.
When this is set, the setting of the Network ID (located in the same tab (ASTRO) at the top) also known as NAC becomes important. The NAC must set to match the system you are using. Typically default 293 is used.

NAC values are in HEX, you may see the NAC listed at times as $293. The $ sign is not actually entered, it is just an indicator that the value is in HEX.

Selective Squelch and Data and Squelch are more advanced setting.

Not sure what your use will be with the radio's, but I would set C4FM and Nomal Squelch with correct TX/RX NAC.

What will you be using the radio's for, HAM, PublicSaftey, Monitoring?

Last edited:

V188

Premium Subscriber
Excellent information by all. It's been years since I programmed our office radios, and quite frankly you forget things, ESP after you retire and haven't thought about it.

I'll be using them for public safety mostly ( vol FD & EMT). Some for playing/ knowledge and some ham. But only 2 hams in 3 counties and they play on 80 meters. I know about encryption and amateur. Just for pubSaf.

Thanks for assistance. I'm sure Ill have some more later. As a brand new ham, with NO local Elmer's I might be here with questions again.

Status
Not open for further replies.