• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS500 Conventional Scan question

HandiScratchy

After a long search I finally picked up a VHF Model 3 this week. I'm trying to get it to scan a zone with my local 2m repeaters but so far it's not working out.

First attempt:
I created a scan list in the CPS
Assigned the middle 1 dot button as "scan"
Loaded the cp to the radio but when I push the button I get no apparent scan. Should there be a scan indicator or do the channels change on the screen as they are scanned? I can't imagine Motorola didn't provide a scan symbol or a light or something to show it's scanning.

Next try:
In the Conventional Personality (the one selected for all the channels in the zone to be scanned) I attempted to select scan List 1.
As soon as I choose the scan list it turns red and I get a red I or some mark on the Scan tab.
Clicking the automatic scan or mixed vote scan enable button doesn't remove the error
1705193114322.png

The radio has the Q387 Conventional Voting Scan and FPP features

I read through this thread but didn't find my answer

What am I missing?

HandiScratchy

Well I made it work but I don't understand why it works and the other didn't.
I created a new personality and changed Rx from Mixed to Non-Astro, it took the scan list no problem. I wrote the CP to the radio and hit the scan button which caused a little Z icon with an arrow head on the bottom to appear which I assume is Motorola for scanning

Can anyone explain why mixed mode Rx would keep a scan list from working? The channels are all analog but shouldn't mixed mode be open to either digital or analog?

hill

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you have some errors on the channels for receive and transmit also.

I guess the first only in the zone is a non standard repeater with the input being a simplex frequency.

The last channel looks way off with the repeater on 146.775 and the input on 146.805

HandiScratchy

Looks like you have some errors on the channels for receive and transmit also.

I guess the first only in the zone is a non standard repeater with the input being a simplex frequency.

The last channel looks way off with the repeater on 146.775 and the input on 146.805
@hill thanks for looking at all those numbers that closely. K4YTZ's Rx frequency 147.030 is near the bottom of the 147MHz repeater output allocations in the ARRL band plan but you are correct the last channel was clearly wrong.

I would still like to understand why the scan list won't work with mixed receive.