• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude208

My agency recently went with the Motorola XTS5000. They come with a straight corded shoulder mike with the antenna on top of the mike. Many of our Officers dont like this as it could poke you in the eye while climbing a fence. We were told do not remove the mike antenna and attach it to the radio itself. What will happen if thats done? an Officer has done it and it apparently works fine?

mikegilbert

MHz so good
It depends on how the radio is set up. Are you leaving the antenna adapter on the radio? It looks like this:

tn_115.jpg

If that adapter is still on the radio and you're using the same speaker mic, the signal is going up the speaker mic and not through the antenna on the radio. It may work okay in areas with great coverage, but you're going to burn up your radio after a while.

Removing the antenna adapter will allow the signal to only go through the antenna mounted on the radio.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Utilizing the short antenna on the top of the microphone removes the "body shielding" that occurs when the antenna is at mid-body on the belt. Putting it down at the belt will cause issues, especially if the system is not simulcast and/or a voted system.

Some agencies have had to put in place SOP's so officers do not modify the configurations as it could cause an officer safety issue.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Thousands of police departments use that same setup. There are hardly a rash of eye injuries from the antenna. Your chances of your radio failing to get out outweigh the chance of a poke in the eye.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I'm still trying to figure out HOW they are going to poke themselves in the eye! Your shoulder mic is usually attached to the tabs on your shoulder and away from your face. If the antenna is long enough, you can put donuts on it for later.

RodStrong

I bet he/she is talking about them clipping the mic on the front of their shirts, a button or two below the neckline.

Dude208

The mikes are usually clipped to a leather mike holder hanging from the lapel. Donuts, really? We were told not to reconfigure the radios. It seems like the lone wolfs radio is working fine. Our plain clothes guys got radios with an antenna 8 inches long with no adapter and no shoulder mike.

Devilz311

My agency recently went with the Motorola XTS5000. They come with a straight corded shoulder mike with the antenna on top of the mike. Many of our Officers dont like this as it could poke you in the eye while climbing a fence. We were told do not remove the mike antenna and attach it to the radio itself. What will happen if thats done? an Officer has done it and it apparently works fine?

What kind of system is it, and how big of an area does it cover? On a our SmartNet 500mhz system it makes no difference if the antenna is on the radio or the antenna. You may experience body shielding more with VHF systems, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue with UHF or 800mhz bands.
I personally hate the straight cord PS mics, it always seems to get in the way. I like the regular coiled cord mic.

RKG

If you want to stop using the "Public Safety Mike" with the antenna on the mike, you have to remove the whole mike setup and replace it with a traditional shoulder mike (such as Commander II), while also reinstalling the radio's original antenna.

Dude208

We are on the 800 meg system which covers a large urban area. If i were to go to a Commander mike, would i have to use the adapter on the radio or not? Thanks for the replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Dude208 said:
We are on the 800 meg system which covers a large urban area. If i were to go to a Commander mike, would i have to use the adapter on the radio or not? Thanks for the replies.

If you look at Motorola's brochure for the XTS-5000, you can see multiple antennas available. Most are separated by the frequency range they cover.

There are multiple speaker-mics to choose from, too. Some of the people in my department have removed the speaker-mics, and use the regular antenna, instead of the Public Safety version with the antenna on it.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
If your using the Cook County system. They are pretty specific about what you can and cant use on their system. Its designed for using the Speaker mic with the short 800 antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.