• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 bezel replacement?

KD9RTX

So this is probably a dumb question about a totally unecessary aesthetic change to my radio. How hard is it to swap out the colored bezel around the screen on an XTS5000 model 3? Found this radio that had the features I wanted and it was in good shape but it has a yellow bezel. Love the radio, not crazy about yellow.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I've had no problem using a very small flat blade screwdriver to carefully pry up the unwanted bezel. Make sure to remove any leftover adhesive then take your time to line up the new one. Not too difficult. Or, I had some customers that simply placed their preferred bezels on top of the original. It's recessed enough to work acceptably.

KD9RTX

I don't know why I didn't realize it was basically a sticker. I'd seen them for sale before but wasn't sure how to swap them out. That sounds straightforward enough.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yup, just a sticker, easy to remove if you're careful and patient. In fact if you peel the yellow one off, you may find either a) the original gray/silver bezel underneath or b) you'll get down to the bare black housing once you remove any residual adhesive. There is a proper black bezel that looks much better, but the bare plastic isn't horrible either, temporarily at least.

KD9RTX

Yeah, black or gray is what I'm after. Now I'm curious what I'll find underneath lol.

KD9RTX

Haha, sort of the Darth Vader of radios. I like it. What did you use to remove the left over adhesive?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I used a small, thin knife (the little blade of a Swiss army knife) to very carefully lift the old bezel up by sliding the blade between the housing and bezel at the edge of one of the buttons, and as soon as it was lifted enough to grab hold of the bezel with needle-nose pliers, I peeled the rest of it off slowly to get as much of the adhesive to come off with it. The rest of the adhesive that was left over was easily removed with my fingernail and/or a small plastic tool that won't scratch the plastic housing or lens. The key, as with most things, is to take it slow and easy.

KD9RTX

So I got a bit bored this morning and started picking at the corner of the yellow screen bezel on my 5k. Sure enough somebody had stuck the yellow bezel over the top of the standard gray one. Came up without even leaving any adhesive behind. Looks much better now!