• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 IMPRES troubles

Hi all, I've got a problem child battery I was hoping to get some advice on potential recovery techniques. Allegedly it's a new or new old stock battery, from a reputable online vendor. Date code of 2235, Li-ion chemistry.

When placed into an impres charger, the battery will go orange and fully drain, then begin recharging. However, instead of the normal flashing then solid green of fully charged, it will instead turn orange and recon cycle again.

When inserted into a non-smart charger, light goes solid red like charging, then flashes red for a few seconds, then back to solid red.

What do y'all think, trash or saveable?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
An IMPRES battery with a date code of 2235 is hardly old...barely even NOS. That date code translates to the 35th week of 2022, which was late August.

If the dealer is truly reputable, they will exchange the battery for you. You can also try contacting Motorola to put in a warranty claim on the battery, as it most certainly should still be fresh barely 3 months after its date code.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I must have had my glasses on when I read the original post. (I see better without them at reading distances.) I thought the battery was older. With a 2022 date code and it doesn't charge it, by rights it's due for a warranty replacement.

mancow

Database Admin
I've used the Arduino 1wire protocol library to read out battery data from the internal DS2433 EEPROM. I'm waiting for one of mine to come up bad so I can try to reprogram it with data from another good battery to see if it resets.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Is the battery Impress compatible? If so, what does the battery menu in the radio say? Regardless it does sound like you have a bad battery.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I've used the Arduino 1wire protocol library to read out battery data from the internal DS2433 EEPROM. I'm waiting for one of mine to come up bad so I can try to reprogram it with data from another good battery to see if it resets.
Is the DS2433 EEPROM inside a Impress battery?

mancow

Database Admin
I think the DS2433 and maybe the temp sensor chip are what are causing so much of the battery availability shortage. DS2433s are out of stock everywhere and the few that are in stock are insane in price.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Hi all, I've got a problem child battery I was hoping to get some advice on potential recovery techniques. Allegedly it's a new or new old stock battery, from a reputable online vendor. Date code of 2235, Li-ion chemistry.

When placed into an impres charger, the battery will go orange and fully drain, then begin recharging. However, instead of the normal flashing then solid green of fully charged, it will instead turn orange and recon cycle again.

When inserted into a non-smart charger, light goes solid red like charging, then flashes red for a few seconds, then back to solid red.

What do y'all think, trash or saveable?
You're saying the batt on the impres charger it went thru a recondition cycle, started solid red charging normal, flashed green for 90% then went back into orange for recondition? Like a never ending reconditioning cycle?

Then on a non-impres charger it turns red, then flashes red, then goes solid for a few seconds, then back to solid?

Was this with the battery on the radio? Try taking the battery off the radio, and putting on the charger without radio attached. Weird but I have a batt that will not charge normally on a 3.9fw charger with radio attached, it will flash red but without on the radio charges normally. Its an expendable radio/batt I do not care about so thats how it works for that one

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I'd love to put that batt on an impres battery data reader to see what its reporting. The impres batt data reader can correct a few errors on impres batts too as discussed in the impres data reader user guide. Sounds like the impres chip is whacked out. I recently had an newish impres batt a little whacked out that would not recondition, even tho 50 days had passed counted on the data reader without a recondition, had low battery alerts at 50% on the radio but showed 50% on the reader, obvious telling the radio something else. I had left it on the data reader and manually force it to recondition, it took around a dozen times of reinserting before it would force itself into orange/recondition mode. sometimes things get whacked out

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I wonder how successful someone might be at bringing dead impres batteries back to life by a software reset? Of course that's not going to change the condition of the cells, but I'm pretty sure that the impres system will mark a battery as "Bad, do not charge or recondition" when its performance drops below a certain level, thus locking out a little bit of usability. Not much, I'd wager, if the system is working properly. But what about a battery that gets marked bad through some software glitch when the cells still have plenty of life in them?

Is the battery Impress compatible? If so, what does the battery menu in the radio say? Regardless it does sound like you have a bad battery.

It's an OEM Impres battery. And interestingly enough, it shows as fully charged with full expected information. Its' only detraction is that it cycles solid/flashing red, instead of going green. Quite peculiar really.