• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 Program Backlight To Illuminate on Receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I’ve looked extensively through CPS R20.01.00 on programming the XTS5000 to illuminate the backlight when receiving a transmission and could not find any possibilities. Is there a possible way to program the radio so this can be accomplished?

Thank you.

kjl13

QRT
Hello,

I’ve looked extensively through CPS R20.01.00 on programming the XTS5000 to illuminate the backlight when receiving a transmission and could not find any possibilities. Is there a possible way to program the radio so this can be accomplished?

Thank you.

I don’t think this is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
No it is not... you can assign a button to turn the light on and off and set the setting for infinite That will eat the battery life up.

ME801

Nope, not even the latest flash for the APX line will allow backlight on channel activity. And the BK's have had that feature since....I don't know the 80's....

Danny37

Nope, not even the latest flash for the APX line will allow backlight on channel activity. And the BK's have had that feature since....I don't know the 80's....

It's pretty impractical in a public safety setting when you think about it. Vertex radios have this feature and I turned it on once and it cut my battery in half. Luckily I did it a home when I tested it out and my battery that typically lasted well over 12 hours, barely lasted 6 hours.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's pretty impractical in a public safety setting when you think about it. Vertex radios have this feature and I turned it on once and it cut my battery in half. Luckily I did it a home when I tested it out and my battery that typically lasted well over 12 hours, barely lasted 6 hours.
Except that the default behavior for an APX with front display is to have the radio's front display backlight set to "permanently illuminate". Yes, it stays lit as long as the radio is powered up (although can be toggled off with a button/soft key). Motorola states: "When this field is enabled, an approximate 20 minute drain in the standard battery life for a normal duty cycle will occur." A penalty of 20 minutes is a far cry from losing 50% of your battery's capacity, as you stated. Surely if the backlight were allowed to cycle on/off with activity, it would further reduce the penalty on runtime. Those APX batteries last quite a long time, so 20 minutes is really not a huge loss in the overall scheme of things.

Danny37

Except that the default behavior for an APX with front display is to have the radio's front display backlight set to "permanently illuminate". Yes, it stays lit as long as the radio is powered up (although can be toggled off with a button/soft key). Motorola states: "When this field is enabled, an approximate 20 minute drain in the standard battery life for a normal duty cycle will occur." A penalty of 20 minutes is a far cry from losing 50% of your battery's capacity, as you stated. Surely if the backlight were allowed to cycle on/off with activity, it would further reduce the penalty on runtime. Those APX batteries last quite a long time, so 20 minutes is really not a huge loss in the overall scheme of things.

The tech has definitely advanced and improved with the apx series but the xts series (as the op has) a permanent illuminated screen will drain his battery significantly.

ME801

In the wildland fire world, you have at least 4 frequencies in your scan list (more if your overhead) Command, Div Tac, A2G Pri and Guard. It's a huge help to be able to see the channel they are calling you on when it dark. Sometimes rookies will forget to identify the channel. If your overhead, you have the 4 above plus the Div Tac on either side of you.
I would think it would be a simple programming update to have the option of backlight on channel activity.
Will I ever give up my 8kXE for a brick (DPH), nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.