• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 QCII Signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bReed11091

How do I program the radio to send out QCII tones?

Also, how do I set a talk permit chirp tone on P25 conventional? I know there are tricks to do it, but I don't have access to the forums that describe it.

Devilz311

How do I program the radio to send out QCII tones?

First, under Conventional > Quik-Call II > Quik-Call II Call list; program the sets of tones you wish to transmit.

Second, under whichever personality you wish to transmit the tones on, under the 'Signaling' tab select Quik-Call II as the Signaling type.

Third, Under the 'Quik-Call II' tab of the same personality, select Selective and/or Call alert under "Encode." Then make sure the correct call list is selected.

You can create multiple tone sets under multiple call lists.

Make sure the Channel in the Zone Channel Assignment is set to the correct personality as well.

bReed11091

Hua on the talk permit tones.

I'll try those steps to get QCII to work. That looks like the same methodology described in the CPS, but the radio doesn't give me a menu option to transmit them. I have CALL and PAGE set as menu options, so I thought it might be a flashcode option.

Devilz311

My 2500 will send tones using either CALL or PAGE. Whichever signaling system is listed under the personality determines if it sends a QCII or MDC call.

bReed11091

Tried the setup you described Devilz, but still not seeing CALL or PAGE menu items. Is there something I might be missing? The channel does have the QCII personality assigned to it, and the personality is set to use the QCII system and call list I set up. Selective and Call Alert encode are both checked off, and there are tone sets in the call list.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I don't see how talk permit tones relate to QCII (pager) tones?

The OP asked two questions - one about QCII and the other about talk permit tones.

IIRC, the XTS series of radios needs to have a specific flash for QCII signaling (and it may even be one for receive and one for transmit).

bReed11091

Thanks for the info. My flash is 500001-000000-8. I didn't see anything about QCII or MDC calling or paging when I decoded the flashcode, so I guess my radio doesn't do it.

bezking

Not so fast. The XTS doesn't need to be flashed for QC2. bReed, what's the firmware version in your radio?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
According to a BatBoard thread, QCII didn't show up in the Astro 25 line until Host R08.00.00. So your FW is too old.

Last edited:

Devilz311

Fw version R04.50.00

Are you going by the sticker on the back? If you are saying that you see the options for QCII in the CPS, then your radio may have been upgraded. To check, turn the radio on and press the bottom-side button 5 times after the self-test. It will display the firmware as Host Version.

If you were able to program the tone sets in the radio, make sure the Call and/or Page menu items are enabled.

Radio Configuration > Display & Menu. From the "Menu Items" tab, make sure the Call & Page selections are added to the field on the right under Conventional.

bReed11091

I'm going by what is read from the radio both in the CPS and when I enter service mode on the radio.

The CALL and PAGE menu options are enabled on the radio.

akarsin

Premium Subscriber
I know this has been stagnant for a while, but I am trying to get an XTS-5000 to remain quiet until an QCii is received then alert and open.

I have figured out how to send the alert tones and can activate a Minitor III/IV pager.
Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.