• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 - Ready to scream....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd911lyf

Hello - I program radios for a PD - have had great success and learned a lot!! However, recently I have been having issues with our XTS5000 II & III....our city is separated into 5 districts - one problem area seems to be more "farmland" but the other is definitely more "city"....same types of topographical districts in between are not affected. Thought the issue was short vs long antennas - doesn't matter. Then thought is was the shoulder mic and tried the newest version - doesn't matter. Units attempt to transmit and our dispatch center does not here them nor do the units standing RIGHT BESIDE THEM! Units are reporting (and I've heard it) like a digitized transmission - not their own but hearing other units on these portables as well as dispatch. There is also the OUT OF RANGE message. Tried to fix via the CPS and AGC - switching it from 3 and 3 for output to 0 and 3 or 0 and 6 - worked for one unit but not the three others. I checked digital and analog boxes just above the AGC - didn't matter. I met with my local MTUG group last week and discussed this issue - was told to check the securenet box in addition to the digital/analog - doesn't matter.

~~Does anyone know what this problem is? Please, I'm driving myself insane trying to fix this and meanwhile not getting any sleep worrying about "my units" on the street and transmissions not getting through........OH, without the shoulder mics the portables work just fine.......and no my units can not be actively in a foot pursuit and/or holding a suspect at gun point and HOLD the portable in ONE hand and the mic in the OTHER hand so that their vests and body mass don't interfere. Yes, I was told this was the IDEAL way to use an XTS5000 for the best results!!!!!!!!! I'm dyin' here - "In Valor There Is Hope" Tacticus, NLEOM, PUT IV

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
Sounds to me like you have a poorly designed radio system. If you are getting out of range messages and the sort of problems you say you are having you simply do not have adequate coverage!

Josh

adjusting AGC settings will not affect how the radio gets into the system, AGC settings only affect audio.

"Out of range" indicates that the radios are not within range of the system, and if the radio can't RX the control channel, (it seems apparent that you're using a trunked system) it cannot transmit into the system either.

What band are you using? If it's 800Mhz, you may want to try using the public safety speaker mics with the antenna built on them. If not, then don't use any speaker mic and see what happens. Get the radio's antenna away from the user's hip.

-Josh

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You really didn't give us enough information to attempt to diagnose what appears to be a system problem. I really just wanted to say that operating the portable on the hip with a speaker mike costs about 10-15 db in signal margin, so if the radios work without speaker mikes (or with, when held up at head level), then this could be a factor. If it's happening in two of 5 segments of your system, then it would appear at first glance that there's something wrong with those two segments.

You also mention that "recently" you have been having issues. How recent? What changed? If it worked before with these radios, then perhaps it can be fixed. Not intended as an insult, but you don't come across as someone technical, or someone who maintains the sytem. What do THOSE people say?

pd911lyf

AlexC - Thank you - I will check into the version installed.

Josh - Thanks - I will try a different mic to see what happens - without the mics all seems well.

zz0468 - Thank you - As for technicality, I was trying to ~KISS~.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
XTS 5000 Fits

I can't tell for sure from your post if you are using digital or analog.

If you are using digital, check the frequency error on the portables. The digital system is much less forgiving in terms of frequency error than the analog side. We discovered this while doing the digital migration for the City of Orlando, which uses the XTS 5000 radios. The radios would work properly on the analog side but would go out of range on the digital side. Re-warping the frequency on the portables cured every radio that exhibitied this problem.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.