• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 Trunking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some insight here. Have an XTS5000 M2 700/800. Bought used. Took to local dealer here to have programming done for our trunked system. Talked to him today, and he said he cant get it to work on the trunking. Tx/rx is fine in analog, but not on trunking. Here is what I was emailed.

We've finished the programming, however there
is a problem with the radio in the trunked mode.
It works fine on the RAMBIS system (conventional)
but won't affiliate with the trunked system.

The basic operation seems to be fine, TX/RX frequency, modulation
level etc, my guess is there is a problem with the trunked logic board.

I doubt it. The problem is that it tries to affiliate but can't. If you bang the PTT
enough times it do handshake one in a blue moon. But it never shows
it's actually "on" the system.
It's essentially the same information as all the other dept radios.
I deleted all the information in the codeplug before I started programming it.

IRC it was set to a Smartnet system not a P25.

Does this make sense to anyone? Seller is trying to say my guy doesnt know what he is talking about, and that he caused the problem, even though he is a very experienced dealer/service center. Also, the seller had it set it up for non-affiliated scan and non transmiting.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
It wouldn't surprise me if there's something going on with how it was set up for non affiliated scan.. Is there another radio he can clone it from? Then add the other stuff you want once it's been cloned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aero125

Sounds to me like your 'local dealer' does not know how to accomplish what you want, I hope he didn't charge you. Unless you are an authorized user with a valid radio ID on a trunked system you are looking for trouble by affiliating like this guy explained trying to do. If you do some google searches there is a way to setup a non-affiliated trunked scan on a radio without risking keying up or trying to affiliate on a system.

Im not trying to set it up for scan, im an authorized user for the system, and have admin approval and radio id.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's something going on with how it was set up for non affiliated scan.. Is there another radio he can clone it from? Then add the other stuff you want once it's been cloned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It used the same programming info as our dept 2500s use. Again trx/rx just fine in analog, but not in trunking. Someone else mentioned possibly needs to be tuned/aligned or the "PA" is blown. Whatever that is.

jim202

As with many posts on here recently, your not providing enough details to even start to provide an answer.

My first concern is that you even have an authorized ID registration for the trunking system your trying to use the radio on. If your radio ID is not entered into the trunking system, the controller will never allow the radio to register.

There is also a possibility that your radio firmware is not up to the required version that the trunking system requires.

If your not having the trunking system radio shop program the radio for you, then the shop you went to may not have a valid system key to be able to program your radio.

There are just too many variables and information missing that you haven't provided.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Unless you have authorization from the system administrator you should not be trying to get your radio to affiliate with their system.
This is considered a crime and you can get in a lot of trouble for trying to do this. There's documented cases where individuals have been busted for this.

Even if you work for an agency that has access to the system, putting a radio on the system without authorization is illegal. The FCC rules are very clear about this, the licensee of the system is the ONLY person who can authorize radios to be used on their radio system. Being an employee does not give you authorization.

There's also a risk to public safety users. If you affiliate with a system, it can take vital resources away from those that actually need it to do their job.

The guy at the radio shop should know this.

The only thing you should be doing is setting up the radio to monitor the system without trying to affiliate. If you are unclear how to do this, find someone who has done it before and get them to assist you.

Please.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Is the intended system p25?
If so, then do a full alignment on the radio. Analog may "work", but the radio is far enough out of alignment that p25 becomes "jibberish".

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It used the same programming info as our dept 2500s use. Again trx/rx just fine in analog, but not in trunking. Someone else mentioned possibly needs to be tuned/aligned or the "PA" is blown. Whatever that is.

If the PA was blown, it would't work on the conventional system. There is only one PA in the radio and it either works or it doesn't.

Also, you, or the radio shop, cannot add a radio to the system without a system key. That system key is only available from the system administrator and those he/she has authorized.

If the PA was blown, it would't work on the conventional system. There is only one PA in the radio and it either works or it doesn't.

Also, you, or the radio shop, cannot add a radio to the system without a system key. That system key is only available from the system administrator and those he/she has authorized.

The dealer does have a system key, obtained directly from the system admin/owner. Our dept has a 9 radios already on the system, 4 of those being portables. We habe permission to buy our own radios, due to dept funds being tight, and have provided all paperwork needed to be allowed to have my own radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The dealer does have a system key, obtained directly from the system admin/owner. Our dept has a 9 radios already on the system, 4 of those being portables. We habe permission to buy our own radios, due to dept funds being tight, and have provided all paperwork needed to be allowed to have my own radio.

OK, I stand corrected. Often I hear people wanting to use these radios as scanners and attempt to add the to a trunked system without authorization. I run a trunked system and I've had people try and do it to me. Considering we charge for system use, I don't take kindly to it.

But, you don't fall into that case.

The PA is the power amplifier, basically the RF amplifier stage of the radio that boosts the output. It either works or it doesn't. If it works on the conventional system, then it should work on the trunked system.

If the radio has the correct flashcode and will do the trunking protocol you need, then that narrows it down to a couple of things:

1. The radio ID you have been given isn't working, hasn't been activated or someone made a typo somewhere.
2. The guy programming the radio made a mistake. It happens.
3. There is something wrong with the radio. As ThunderKnight said, it may work well enough to work on the conventional system, which has looser technical requirements, but not on the trunked system.

Either way, the radio shop should be able to figure this out. Someone might need to call the system administrator and make sure the radio ID really is active.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
You may also want to try to run it by the system administrator. He should have the resources to trouble shoot the device.
It could be as simple as fat fingering while putting in some info into the radio. Ive done that but fixed when double checking. When i was a tech at a radio shop it paid to be slow and methodical when programming.
It could also be a problem with the radio, hardware issue or software feature set.
As others have mentioned analog is a bit more forgiving then digital is.

Status
Not open for further replies.