• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XVP830 vs standard APX speaker mic

mbnv992

Anyone have the newer style XVP mics on their APX ? How are they compared to a standard APX speaker mic ?
Supposedly most of the APX standard mics say they come with the same internal speaker that is in the actual APX radio itself. Is the XVP mic any louder ? I know it’s physically bigger and has more programmable buttons on it.

Just looking for feedback on the XVP “heavy duty” mics.

K2NEC

Yes they are louder than standard $69 RSMs. The XVP830 only works on APX6000BN, APX8000 and APX8000XEs. They won't work on APX6000 AN or APX4000s. Ask me how I know.
How DO you know? :unsure:
Running R29 FW
20240724_102930.jpg

mbnv992

Supposedly it has to be at or over Firmware R24 in order for that mic to work on the AN models.

mbnv992

The middle ViQi button - on a non-Next radio - can you program it for something different ? ( such as zone, Monitor, etc etc ) or is that middle button non-programmable ?

K2NEC

The middle ViQi button - on a non-Next radio - can you program it for something different ? ( such as zone, Monitor, etc etc ) or is that middle button non-programmable ?
It is not programmable
Interesting. I have 3,000 ANs and all are at R33 or above, none of them work with the XVP830 RSM, was told they aren't compatible and shipped them back.
I've used it on a few AN's and I can't say I've ever had any issues. They were all above 24 but not as recent as 33. Could it be something with the newer firmware?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I've used it on a few AN's and I can't say I've ever had any issues. They were all above 24 but not as recent as 33. Could it be something with the newer firmware?
Maybe, our AN 6000s are at 33.04 and they do NOT work on them. Sent back as a result. They give an "accy hardware not available" when connected and do not function at all.
IMG_0279.jpg

mbnv992

For what it’s worth - I ordered an XVP830 to try with my 8000 - just got it in today. What a difference over the PMMN4065 that I’ve been using. Also - all the buttons are definitely programmable ( 1, 2, and the 3 dot button in the front, and the top orange man down button are all programmable via CPS ). Volume is quite a bit louder than the standard mic, and the coiled cord has bigger coiles, and nowhere near as “stiff” as the cord on my 4065.
Very happy with the mic. Super expensive but well worth it IMO.