Y splitter or 2way Spliter

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
One can find a powered drop amplifier on eBay for around $20 with or without gain. I have used the Electroline brand myself. Pay attention to the frequency range it handles. Others will surely chime in with other brands that cost more. Much depends on your budget.

blues222

One can find a powered drop amplifier on eBay for around $20 with or without gain. I have used the Electroline brand myself. Pay attention to the frequency range it handles. Others will surely chime in with other brands that cost more. Much depends on your budget.
would the Y splitter work?

Attachments

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
would the Y splitter work?
Maybe.

Each time you split the antenna feed, you lose at least half the signal going to each radio. If you already have a really strong signal to work with, this ~should~ work. If it's a weak signal, then it's going to just make it weaker.

You can give it a try, but if it doesn't work, you're going to want the amplified drop splitter.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The cheaper the splitter the more chance you run the risk of scanners interfering with each other. Before you say that is priced high you get what you pay for. I run 3 8 port 2 4 port and am testing a 5 port from England.

Ubbe

You can try a Y-splitter, it should only be a $5 purchase so no big deal. As mentioned some scanner generate RF interference from their antenna port, that's why FCC have to test and approve them, and that could be a nuisance depending of the scanners used.

The suggested $20 amplifier splitter are probably the cheapest working solution as it will isolate the scanners interference from each other and will also overcome the loss when splitting one signal into two. Just see to that it uses, or can be set to, a low gain that doesn't overload the scanners receiver, or you will have to buy attenuators as scanners built in attenuators are always 20dB ones that are too much. Some amplifiers of low quality will overload and create intermodulation if they amplify a lot of strong signals, like you have from a discone antenna that receives FM broadcast and NOAA and pager signals in the 150MHz band really well.

/Ubbe

blues222

You can try a Y-splitter, it should only be a $5 purchase so no big deal. As mentioned some scanner generate RF interference from their antenna port, that's why FCC have to test and approve them, and that could be a nuisance depending of the scanners used.

The suggested $20 amplifier splitter are probably the cheapest working solution as it will isolate the scanners interference from each other and will also overcome the loss when splitting one signal into two. Just see to that it uses, or can be set to, a low gain that doesn't overload the scanners receiver, or you will have to buy attenuators as scanners built in attenuators are always 20dB ones that are too much. Some amplifiers of low quality will overload and create intermodulation if they amplify a lot of strong signals, like you have from a discone antenna that receives FM broadcast and NOAA and pager signals in the 150MHz band really well.

/Ubbe
436hp and a ws 1080