Yaesu: Yaesu 450at power consumption

Jhernan488

Hello, I have a 30 ah battery, about how long will it last at full power? The manual says 22 amps max. But does it really pull that much? I know it can depend on Mic Gain and whatnot. Anyone use portable battery with this rig? What's your time use with a 30ah battery at full power?

GROL

Hello, I have a 30 ah battery, about how long will it last at full power? The manual says 22 amps max. But does it really pull that much? I know it can depend on Mic Gain and whatnot. Anyone use portable battery with this rig? What's your time use with a 30ah battery at full power?
This is something that definately falls into the category of your mileage may vary. There are many variables. It will depend on what mode you are using. CW will use the least power overall, then SSB and then AM or FM. You can first measure receive current, and then add an estimated duty cycle of how much transmitting you anticipate. But your best estimate will be actual usage, and that will vary depending on transmit duty cycle. I would assume receive current probably will not exceed one amp. Even at full power SSB is not going to come anywhere close to 22 amps and CW has a short duty cycle. AM and FM probably are not going to be 22 amps either. In AM or FM my FT857D draws about 17 amps at 100 watts. Place an ammeter inline with the power supply and measure actual current transmitting. If your battery is a gel cell or any form of lead acid battery, except some deep cycle batteries, expect to get about 50% or a bit more than full rated current capacity also depending on the amount of time transmitting. If your battery is LiFePO4 then close to full rated capacity.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Use 20W and step it up to 40W if needed. Use even less for digital modes. For fun look up the gain difference for 20, 40, 80 and 100W. Now calculate that gain difference to S units used by the radio meter. After that you’ll make a more informed decision on whether always using 100W is best versus the amps used from the battery.