Yaesu 7800

Status
Not open for further replies.

zguy1243

Hello to the group,

I recently came upon a Yaesu 7800 2M/440 mobile. I won the radio at hamfest I attended this last weekend. Some really good luck I had there. I in the past have discounted all of the ham transceivers with extended receive into the milair bands due to the fact that they are for the most part deaf in those ranges or do not allow AM mode to be selected. I compare all radios I come across to the either the Yupiteru VT-225 or Icom R8500 as they are both rock solid performers in the VHF and UHF aircraft bands. I am extremely impressed with the yaesu 7800. The radio covers 108-999Mhz and can select AM mode anywhere in the bands. In the VHF/UHF aircraft bands the radio performs at the same level as the yupiteru VT-225. To this day I have never found a more sensitive receiver for the UHF milair band other than the Yupiteru vt-225. I stumbled onto the yaesu 7800 by luck and I am very happy I did. I have used alot of other Ham rigs in the past and was never impressed with the receiver performance outside the ham bands. The 7800 is a departure from the norm and a extremely impressive receiver in the VHF/UHF airbands. Also with the separation kit you can remote mount the radio, makes for a super clean looking install. Thought i would pass this on to the group.

73's

Jody

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I think the 7800 really is great on MILAIR freqs too. It seems quite sensitive..... And I think the Yupiteru 7100 is about the best MILAIR scanner I have ever used. the 7800 is right there with the Yupi

KC8WLZ

Love my FT7800 :)

I love my FT7800 also. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was for receiving milair also. My main reason for purchasing it was for 2m/70cm as well as local public safety monitoring. The milair was a definate bonus. I am using a pro-am glass mount antenna and have alway suspected that if I was to improve my antenna situation that I would be even happier milair-wise.

Also, you gotta love the Yaesu hyper-memories. That feature was the main reason at the time that I purchased this unit over the Icom 208.

Status
Not open for further replies.