Yaesu 7800R or 8800R?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyc_tbird_sc

Hey guys, I've recently been looking at picking up a mobile rig. I really like the Yaesu units...but can't decide if stepping up to the 8800R would be worth it. What do you guys think?

I've been around radio's for a while...but haven't been following it in the last couple years. What do you guys think about these units?

Scott

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
They are Both good, It depends if you want single band at once or dual band showing at the sametime, Plus on the 8800 you can cross band repeat.

R Collins

scansomd

yyc_tbird_sc said:
Hey guys, I've recently been looking at picking up a mobile rig. I really like the Yaesu units...but can't decide if stepping up to the 8800R would be worth it. What do you guys think?

I've been around radio's for a while...but haven't been following it in the last couple years. What do you guys think about these units?

Scott

I have owned both. Both are fine radios. I first owned the FT-8800. I rarely used Cross-Band repeat. The ability to receive two signals at the same time, however, was a very big plus.

I came to realize the FT-8800 was more radio than I needed.

I sold the 8800 and purchased a 7800. I haven't regretted this decision after almost a year.

If you must have cross band repeat and dual receive, pay the extra $$ and get the 8800. If not, the 7800 is a fine radio for a significantly less.

yyc_tbird_sc

I'm leaning towards the 7800. I think I'm gonna head over to a Yaesu dealer here in Calgary and see if they have any I can play with for 5 minutes or so

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
either radio is a great deal, my dad has the 7800 and i have the 8800, i prefer the 8800 for cross band repeat in emergency situations or just other times it might be needed, its a great feature, but the true reason i prefer the 8800 is the dual recieve/dual vfo, it is great to have 1/2 the radio scan ham bands while the other 1/2 is scanning my local pd/fire, or just to have 1side scanning and the other side locked in on my main simplex freq so i catch my friends whenever they jump on...but they both are great radios...

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have four of the FT-8800s. I agree wholeheartedly with Caesar. The ability to use BOTH receivers is slick. My routine is similar to his, but I have one side scan frequencies that could become active almost anywhere. Mutual aid channels, nationwide channels, etc. The other side scans area specific frequencies, usually by county. With a total of 20 banks, 10 on each side, that is nice capability.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
One thing I haven't seen any of the 8800 owners mention is the fact that the buttons along the bottom of the 8800 are not backlit? I know that some made specific mention of that on Eham. Just wondered how those that like the 8800 so much feel about that, and has it caused you any problems, especially when operating mobile at night?

yyc_tbird_sc

I picked up a 7800 today...so far so good. If I pick up another one in the future, then I'll lean towards the 8800 to see if I like the dual receive. I'm still learning the 7800 for now.

Thanks for your inputs...has anyone tried the "mods" that are listed on other websites relating to removing a diode?

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
i have not tried the mod on my 8800, and don't think i will for a good while...

as far the how the 7800 keys are backlit and the 8800keys are not,they have a set key in the center and then 5 buttons on each side,and after a week, i had each one memorized, so the no backlight is not a problem for me...that and almost everything you need is on the backlight mic /

Status
Not open for further replies.