Yaesu F8800

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

Hello All,
I have a 2004 Checy Tahoe Z71. I have a Motorola Maratrac and a Motorola CDM1250 already installed. I have purchased a Yaesu FT8800R and am trying to figure out where to put the control head for it.
I've seen some pretty interesting installs of the head units of the amature radios like these, but, I can't decide where to put mine.
I've seen a couple with the head mounted up on the roof somehow attached to the "Information Center" area. Don't know hoe they did that though.
Have you made some kind of bracket to attach it like that?
Anyone have any thoughta? I've posted a photo of what I currently have on the factory console below....Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)
Steve/KB8FAR

Last edited:

SLWilson

Note....

I've tried Velcro. It won't stick. The new Yaesu head ISN'T very large or heavy at all, but, we're in the middle of summer here. Velcro just "melts" off....I've tried several places near and around the existing equipment that is bolted down. Just can't find a place that it will stay or gives me easy access!!!! :(
Steve

cschmit

I hear your pain, I have a 7800R and had no clue where to go with it in my S10 untill I found this Ram mount. I have had this for 3 weeks now and LOVE it. It is NOT touching the dash at all but is about 1/4" off of it. The mount is very sturdy and does not shake even on very bumpy roads.

7800r-ram.jpg

It was $30 + shipping and worth every penny. It holds very strong but yet very easy to move around.
http://www.custommounts.com/RAM_B_166_RAM_SUCTION_MOUNT_TWIST_LOCK_p/ram-b-166.htm

biglaz

You mean an FT8800? AT any rate, can you fabricate any sort of bracket to mount it under the HVAC controls but above the cig. lighter?

diskmonger

I have mine velcrowed to the bottom of my spectra control head.

BUT, before I had it mounted above my rearview mirror. I bought an old suction cup bracket at radio shack that was meant for a radar detector. I would not recommed normal velcrow though, get the "lock tight" super duty velcrow.

I thought I would like it up there because it is out of the way, but I found it was more of a pain for a few reasons:

1. You actually take your eyes off the road even more looking up above your rear view mirror.

2. I could never find anything good to do with the microphone. I ended up tucking it under the passenger side sun visor, which was fine until a passenger wanted to use the sun visor.

I really like the in-dash mounts that pro-fit makes: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Universal_Mounts/

You could mount it to one of these. This is what I use for my spectra & satelite radio.

Attachments

• Spectra3.JPG
    Spectra3.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,246
Status
Not open for further replies.