Yaesu FRG-100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelxB

Hello all, I've been looking in to upgrading to a new receiver. I've been looking at the Yaesu FRG-100 for awhile now, looking possible I could purchase it. Could anyone with experience with this radio give me it's pros and cons?

Also, is it good for DXing? able to pull in weak signals good? SSB and AM modes sound quality good?

Thanks all. - Michael.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I don't know if I'd consider a FRG-100 an upgrade, and certain not new. They've been discontinued for some time now.

SCPD

QRT
The FRG-100B is a very sensitive HF receiver. It'll be great for any kind of SWL activities. The one thing that you'll probably figure out very quickly is the lack of a direct entry keypad for frequencies. This can get old really quick. Don't say I didn't warn ya! :D

PS. There are several "mods" that can be done to enhance audio, etc.

nanZor

I had the 100B for many years and liked it a lot for what it is. I was sad to see it go.

In that era, look out for "locked up" or frozen tuning knobs. The tolerances of the shaft were so mechanically tight, that any little bit of oxidation or rust inside the shaft locks them up.

I cured mine with a very SMALL shot of "DeOxit" at the top of the shaft, and left to sit upright overnight. Do NOT USE WD-40 for this task. The expense of deoxit is worth it, and amazingly available at some RS stores if you need it now. I do not use wd40 or the generic RS tuner cleaner chemicals. I thought deoxit was a hoax until I tried it, and now won't use anything else.

But yes, overall if you can find a 100/100B in good shape, they make great general purpose receivers. An external speaker can cut down on the somewhat bassy audio it has.

SCPD

QRT
But yes, overall if you can find a 100/100B in good shape, they make great general purpose receivers. An external speaker can cut down on the somewhat bassy audio it has.

Yes I would agree with speaker assessment. I used headphones for most of my time with it. I then purchased a DSP599ZX processor to help with the audio. It worked well but in the end it just wasn't worth the extra cost of the processor.

nanZor

My 599ZX is also catching dust. I learned to move / change antennas for a better s/n, rather than use the box, as nice as it is.

For a speaker, the Icom SP-33 would mate well with the FRG-100 and it's tendency to be a bit too bassy.

While speaker evalution is always subjective, I find the SP-33 cuts off just enough of the lows without going too far, and seems "flat" across the rest of the bandwidth, with just enough clarity on the high end not to seem harsh or muffled.

Heh, sounds like an old "Stereo Review" article. :) My ears seem to like it.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I had one for a bit. I wasn't impressed.

I got rid of it and got a Kenwood R-5000. I would take the Kenwood any day over the frg.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Figured I would revive this post instead of starting a new one, just purchased one of these rcvrs, now definitely have had more SW radios than shoes hi hi. Prior to purchasing checked all the reviews, mined as much as possible on the 'Net and figured this was a good one for general SW b'casts and for favorites such as LF beacons, and SW utes. Not the newest kid in town, but newer radios lack the old-school D'Arsonval meters (well at least those in the average price range) which to me makes a radio less appealing. Nice weight to it, and yes it lacks a keypad but not a deal breaker. After several years of SDR dongle-aholism, this'll be stepping back to a bricks-and-mortar machine.

Wonder if anyone else is using the FRG-100 and their opinion? Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.