Yaesu: Yaesu FT-2900 Receive is Offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I have this issue with my radio where it won't properly receive unless I drop the frequency 5 khz. For instance, listening to a simplex conversation on 146.565, I would need to tune the radio to 146.560 to hear the conversation. At its proper frequency (146.565) I can hear the conversation but it is mostly static. It is much clearer at 146.560. I am sure the proper frequency is 146.565 as I am receiving it fine on my Kenwood 71A.

I have reset the radio mulitple times, and I have confirmed that the power out is fine, with a 75 watts out at the high setting.

Thanks and 73
Marc
W1MCX

K4EET

Chaplain
FWIW, 146.565 MHz is the standard simplex frequency and not 146.560 MHz.

Does the Yaesu FT-2900 receive seem to be off by 5 kHz over the entire VHF ham band (144 MHz to 148 MHz)? And just to be sure, is the frequency accurate on transmit, i.e. it is not off by any amount over the entire VHF ham band (144 MHz to 148 MHz)? Finally, for the simplex channel of 146.565 MHz, are you sure that you do not have a 5 kHz offset accidentally set for a simplex channel?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If programming software was used, it may have defaulted to the offset.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help guys.

It appears to be off on the entire band. I have not tried to transmit, except a brief time into a dummy load to check for transmit power, which showed a normal output.

I did a full reset and programmed it directly from the microphone keypad so no programming software was used.

It appears to be an unknown issue so far as I haven't seen any other mentions of it on any forums. I will probably put it up for sale as parts/not working. I'm sure some ham will get it working.

K4EET

Chaplain
Thanks for the help guys. <snip> I did a full reset and programmed it directly from the microphone keypad so no programming software was used. <snip> I will probably put it up for sale as parts/not working. I'm sure some ham will get it working.
Do you have the OEM programming software and cable? If you do, have you tried programming the transceiver with that? Selling as a parts-only rig will only net you pennies on the dollar. It is almost like we've got to be missing something very obvious.

You might also try calling Yaesu at the following telephone number. I have found them to be quite helpful in the past on various issues that I've had with Yaesu equipment. In Cypress, California, the number for Yaesu Technical Support is:

(714) 827-7600 between 8 AM – 5 PM PST

If you don't want to call Yaesu and you are going to sell the rig for pennies on the dollar, send it to me at no cost and I'll call Yaesu for you. If it is an easy fix, I'll send the rig back to you as long as you will pay for return shipping.

I still believe that we have to be overlooking something that is causing the global offset. I do hope that you can figure out what is amiss.

73, Dave K4EET

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Hi Dave, and thank you for the very generous offer. I do not have the programming cable or software but I will give Yaesu a try. It is no longer under warranty but it can't hurt to try. Thanks and 73

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Dave, and thank you for the very generous offer. I do not have the programming cable or software but I will give Yaesu a try. It is no longer under warranty but it can't hurt to try. Thanks and 73
I would need the programming cable and software most likely because my fingers are not real coordinated anymore. I would have trouble pushing buttons on a microphone... :ROFLMAO:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
This doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. Is a factory reset possible on this model?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
On some radios when programing from the microphone the last digit is automatically added (or not). It depends on what "step" size you have set as the default. Does the display show "exactly" the same frequency you entered manually (including the last digit)? It would be very unlikely it would be off exactly 5khz across the whole band. Take a look in the manual to be sure you have the right step size and that the 5khz switch ( if there is one) is set correctly.
Bill

hill

Premium Subscriber
No 5 Khz switch on the FT-2900, Whatever is entered via keypad is displayed. The frequencies for the normal wide band ham radio are set in 5 Khz steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.