Yaesu FT 2980 (R?) and WiRES-X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorndike113

So I got myself a Yaesu FT-2980 (R? evidently is what the manual says but not what is printed on the radio) and it has the WiRES-X button. The manual shows how to set it up and I have quite a few good working Fusion repeaters near me that I can get into no problem. They all carry just one room and I have the number to it. Evidently, its not as easy as 1,2,3 and hitting the WiRES-X button and talking. Maybe I am not able to do Fusion? I do not understand it at all. I have watched several videos and read several things on it but it doesnt show that WiRES-X even works to join digital Fusion rooms. I get a bit of a laugh out of it because I instantly figured out DMR as soon as I sat down to program my first radio, knowing about as much as I do about Fusion as I did DMR. Fusion makes no sense to me, DMR I get. Anyone know anything about the Yaesu FT-2980? Its a really good working solid radio. I really like it. I would like to make full use of it though.

Attachments

• IMG_20220603_192029397.jpg
    IMG_20220603_192029397.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 7

AE4NG

The 2980 does not do Wires-X nor does it do C4FM (System Fusion). It only does analog FM. The Wires button on the radio was used for the original Wires several years ago. Yaesu discontinued it in 2017. So the Wires button on the 2980 is useless.

I hope this helps.

So I got myself a Yaesu FT-2980 (R? evidently is what the manual says but not what is printed on the radio) and it has the WiRES-X button. The manual shows how to set it up and I have quite a few good working Fusion repeaters near me that I can get into no problem. They all carry just one room and I have the number to it. Evidently, its not as easy as 1,2,3 and hitting the WiRES-X button and talking. Maybe I am not able to do Fusion? I do not understand it at all. I have watched several videos and read several things on it but it doesnt show that WiRES-X even works to join digital Fusion rooms. I get a bit of a laugh out of it because I instantly figured out DMR as soon as I sat down to program my first radio, knowing about as much as I do about Fusion as I did DMR. Fusion makes no sense to me, DMR I get. Anyone know anything about the Yaesu FT-2980? Its a really good working solid radio. I really like it. I would like to make full use of it though.

Thorndike113

I thank you very much for this information. It makes sense and I hope this post helps others who get this radio. It is a really nice radio and the transmit and receive is awesome. I sort of hoped I would be able to do WiRES-X, but no biggy. Still a good radio. I work DMR anyhow so its not a loss. Thanks again.

AE4NG

You’re welcome. Glad I could help.

I thank you very much for this information. It makes sense and I hope this post helps others who get this radio. It is a really nice radio and the transmit and receive is awesome. I sort of hoped I would be able to do WiRES-X, but no biggy. Still a good radio. I work DMR anyhow so its not a loss. Thanks again.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yaesu FT-2980 (R? evidently is what the manual says but not what is printed on the radio)
In Yaesu-speak, the "R" at the end of the model name means that it's a U.S.-spec radio. There's also an FT-2980E which is the European-spec radio. In Japan, you'd find radios sold as FT-2980 with no suffix. Yaesu does not indicate the suffix on the radio, but may indicate the intended market somehow on the serial number label for the radio.

The radio is the same no matter the suffix. All that changes is the band coverage. For example, the FT-2980R will transmit on 144-148 MHz, but the FT-2980E will only transmit on 144-146 MHz. The different coverages are determined by a resistor or diode network in the radio that "programs" the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.