Yaesu: Yaesu FT-5DR Thoughts or reviews...

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
I'm at a point now where I have a large collection of Motorola, Kenwood and Yaesu handhelds. I am considering the Yaesu FT-5DR but have a few questions. I've heard that the audio has its volume increased but that it lacks any low end or punch to the point that it is almost annoying. I also have one frequency that I would like to RX only but I have not found any other ham HT that will allow 151.3475 to be entered in its complete frequency. I understand and know that others will allow 151.350 to be able to monitored but that's not my wish or intent. So my questions are... How's the audio? Will this HT allow 151.3475 to be entered? If you were to buy an HT again would you buy the FT-5DR again?

Thanks,
Dave

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I have the FT-5DR and the audio is better than the FT-3DR. It sounds fuller with less treble and definitely louder. Unfortunately, I could not get the FT5 to tune to 151.3475.

Yaesu made a change for the worse with the FT5. Now when you scan channels or search VFO you no longer see the actual channel or frequency. All you see is the word MEM SCAN or VFO SCAN until it breaks squelch.

Would I buy the FT-5DR again? No, not unless Yaesu does a firmware update to get rid of the SCAN display. I'm going to stick with the FT-3DR

I

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211218-122459_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211218-122459_Gallery.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20211218-122447_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211218-122447_Gallery.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 96

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
I have the FT-5DR and the audio is better than the FT-3DR. It sounds fuller with less treble and definitely louder. Unfortunately, I could not get the FT5 to tune to 151.3475.

Yaesu made a change for the worse with the FT5. Now when you scan channels or search VFO you no longer see the actual channel or frequency. All you see is the word MEM SCAN or VFO SCAN until it breaks squelch.

Would I buy the FT-5DR again? No, not unless Yaesu does a firmware update to get rid of the SCAN display. I'm going to stick with the FT-3DR

I

This exactly the info I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to check the frequency input as well. It looks like I'll stick with my SDS100 for now. Was hoping to reduce the amount of handhelds which i'm still going to do.

Thank you,
Dave

W4ILJ

Premium Subscriber
My FT5D will except 151.3475. You have to go into config setting, step then set to 6.25. Then you should be able to enter into vfo then set to your desired memory ch. And yes, I would buy another FT5D. ~73

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
My FT5D will except 151.3475. You have to go into config setting, step then set to 6.25. Then you should be able to enter into vfo then set to your desired memory ch. And yes, I would buy another FT5D. ~73
I tried that again using 6.25 and I can only get 151.34375 and 151.350. :unsure:PSX_20211219_042431_resize_78.jpg

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have an FT-2 and strongly considered upgrading. There are some sale prices on the FT-5 right now. However, I reviewed the differences and concluded that there were not enough new features to make it worthwhile for me. It is worth noting that the FT-5 appears to use the same battery and drop in charger as the FT-2. The FT-5 can also do C4FM on either A or B. Not enough for me to spend the money.

I would not judge a ham radio on its ability to exactly tune an out of band frequency. It gets close enough for there to be no practical difference.

I also have an FT-70 and am quite happy with both the FT-2 and the FT-70. We do have a Fusion repeater here and a Wires-x node a my QTH. they don't get a lot of use but several ops have Fusion radios here.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Haven't found a ham radio yet that will do it.

151.34750 159.20250 KGF358 RM156.7 PLWash FD Z-3County Fire Dispatch - Zone 3 FMN Fire Dispatch
It drives me nuts.

palmerjrusa

I'm at a point now where I have a large collection of Motorola, Kenwood and Yaesu handhelds. I am considering the Yaesu FT-5DR but have a few questions. I've heard that the audio has its volume increased but that it lacks any low end or punch to the point that it is almost annoying. I also have one frequency that I would like to RX only but I have not found any other ham HT that will allow 151.3475 to be entered in its complete frequency. I understand and know that others will allow 151.350 to be able to monitored but that's not my wish or intent. So my questions are... How's the audio? Will this HT allow 151.3475 to be entered? If you were to buy an HT again would you buy the FT-5DR again?

Thanks,
Dave

I sold my FT-3DR due to poor audio (amongst other things = it was pretty deaf on HF).

I bought an FT-5DR and can confirm the audio is much improved (there's more of it too) and HF sensitivity is on par with other handhelds.

palmerjrusa

Thanks,
Dave

Funny, was just having this issue trying to program a frequency on my Kenwood TH-D74, it won't accept 151.2425 MHz which is kind of a bummer. I checked the manual and the lowest tuning step on FM is 5 kHz

Last edited: