Yaesu FT-60 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a new ham and the FT-60 is my first radio. I agree with all of the comments that I have read about the sound and over all quality of the radio, but I am having issues with mine right out of the box. I have entered the repeater frequencies and repeater offset frequencies and the CTCSS tone codes. When I key the mike, it activates the repeater and I hear a lot of static (Im using a scanner to listen) but my voice does not come across the radio.

I have programmed different repeater frequencies and the correct offsets and CTCss codes, and its the same thing on all of them; static but no voice is going out.

I can receive others transmissions just fine, but I cannot get out.

Can anyone please advise what might be my problem and any solutions? Ive been working on this for 3 days and needless to say, Im getting a bit frustrated..

Thanks and 73
Michael
KF5LFT

SCPD

QRT
You maybe suffering from "desense" unless the repeater is very strong or close to you. Try listening on a simplex frequency.

nexus

yeah just like Ed implied. You're most likely not going to be able to hear yourself on the repeater's output frequency on your scanner if you're standing next to it while transmitting. Most 5 watt radios will desense another receiver close by.

Tune to 146.52 on your scanner and on your FT-60 and give out your callsign to see if you come in crystal clear. If you do, there is nothing wrong with your FT-60...

Then try this... take the scanner on the repeater you wish to talk on, turn the volume up loud, then walk away from the scanner, into another room, or go outside and get about 15 feet away from the scanner, and give a shout on the repeater. If you're actually able to get in, you should hear yourself come over the scanner at the same time as you talk on your FT-60 without any static.

Any closer to the scanner and you're likely going to be wiping out it's ability to pick up anything.

N8IAA

When there is activity on the repeaters you have programmed into your radio, try throwing out your call sign and see if anyone comes back to you. You may have to wait, as a conversation is going on. But, when you hear your call sign, respond. They should be able to tell you if you are into the repeater ok. Let them know you are new and they may even give you more help.
HTH,
Larry

Thanks for the info and help guys! I finally got around to trying both suggestions and I was able to get out and talk to someone on the repeater this evening.

Michael
KF5LFT

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Yea, I use my scanner 95% of the time for listening. Sometime I forget and key-up and get the same thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.