Yaesu: Yaesu FT-60 [Modding] Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Years ago I had a VX5 that I could "mod" using the "Eve" software. Is there any type of software out there to do these types of "virtual" mods for an FT 60, rather than the physical MARS/CAP mod?

Thanks!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The MARS/CAP mods are just an excuse for opening up the bands on the radio. There is no use for the CAP mods today because CAP uses narrowband and is, at least partly, P25. I doubt if there is any MARS activity on VHF/UHF. Opening up ham radios for out of band use is poor practice. A friend of mine started doing an ARES net on the Southern Pacific road frequency once. Not cool. They probably didn't hear him because he didn't have the PL set. Nevertheless, you can get into trouble very fast.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
The MARS/CAP mods are just an excuse for opening up the bands on the radio. There is no use for the CAP mods today because CAP uses narrowband and is, at least partly, P25. I doubt if there is any MARS activity on VHF/UHF. Opening up ham radios for out of band use is poor practice. A friend of mine started doing an ARES net on the Southern Pacific road frequency once. Not cool. They probably didn't hear him because he didn't have the PL set. Nevertheless, you can get into trouble very fast.
Thanks. I’m not a “trouble” person. I follow the rules. You have no idea why I asked. And I have no plans to do a physical mod and damage my radio.
Thanks.

N4KVE

Years ago we had to mod radios to RX out of the ham bands. Doing the mod enabled out of band RX, & TX. Bit nowadays, radios come from the factory with wide open RX. No need to mod a radio that can’t legally transmit outside the ham band.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Simply wanted to know if anyone had experience with various software mods. was one reason. Some years ago MARS was active here in NY. That's all. Thanks. I can always listen.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
CAP has a pretty comprehensive database of approved equipment. Interestingly enough, NONE of the current amateur equipment from (insert manufacturer here) show compliance. CAP "mods" are a bunch of guano excreted by unscrupulous vendors who get an extra $39-49 for enabling out of band, non-certified equipment to do what it really should not.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
In the interest of actually answering the OP's question: I never ran across a way to open it up using software. I had done the hardware mod.

The VX-1R was able to be opened up through a very elaborate series of front panel keypresses, which involved settings and frequency changes and was harder than you'd think given there is no numeric keypad.

n1das

The MARS/CAP mods are just an excuse for opening up the bands on the radio. There is no use for the CAP mods today because CAP uses narrowband and is, at least partly, P25.

While not P25 capable, the FT-60 has narrowband capability (wide/narrow selectable). Narrow mode also narrows the receiver, not just narrow the tx deviation.

I have had an FT-60 in the past. Great radio.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The fact of the matter is that the CAP does not accept the use of amateur radio equipment for use on its frequencies and has not for many years. I have discussed the with a fellow ham who is a CAP member. Modified ham HT's are not NTIA accepted. Anything else is a sophistry.

MARS is primarily HF. There are Army and Air Force MARS groups with specific requirements for membership. You require a MARS call sign. You must have HF equipment that can operate on MARS frequencies and you must be active in the program.

People claim that they want to modify their radios for "emergency" use. Ham HT's are not type accepted for use outside the ham bands. An "emergency" requiring the use of direct radio contact with emergency services is very rare and will not be welcome by those services. If you really want to perform public service work, volunteer with an appropriate organization.

Also, it is worth pointing out that the specifications of ham radio equipment are in reference to ham frequencies. With today's wide band receivers reception will probably be good, but transmitter power may be reduced.

There is no legitimate reason for making these mods. Transmitting outside of ham bands is illegal. You can spin it any way you want, but factually this is true.

cmdrwill

There is no legitimate reason for making these mods. Transmitting outside of ham bands is illegal.

EXACTLY and this was not on the "Ham test", but probably should be.

Any modification, or " opening up the bands on the radio", violates the FCC Type acceptance.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Any modification, or " opening up the bands on the radio", violates the FCC Type acceptance.
Not exactly, Part 97 is very forgiving in the respect that you are allowed to modify the radio and still be Part compliant. Heck, you can build your own radio and as long as it meets the parameters of Part 97 it is compliant without ever having had the FCC look at it. It is the transmitting on those frequencies that is outside of type acceptance.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The NTIA is through its Office of Spectrum Management regulates the use of radio spectrum allocated to the federal government. As such CAP frequencies are under their control. FCC type acceptance is irrelevant. The NTIA does not recognize any amateur radios for use on the CAP spectrum. This is, zero none nada zilch. This has apparently been the case for some time.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
In the interest of actually answering the OP's question: I never ran across a way to open it up using software. I had done the hardware mod.

The VX-1R was able to be opened up through a very elaborate series of front panel keypresses, which involved settings and frequency changes and was harder than you'd think given there is no numeric keypad.
Thank you.
ok. We can call off the dogs. I have no equipment that is modified or operates “illegally” (just to be clear)!

Yes. I enjoy my FT 60. It’s a great radio.

This is a beaten/dead horse. Can a moderator close this down please.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
The FT60 does 108 to 512 MHz RX out of the box.. No mods needed to receive

Status
Not open for further replies.