Yaesu FT 60 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golson2210

Anyone have any recommendations for Free Yaesu FT 60 Programming software?

I tried downloading and using the FT 60 Commander however I just constantly get run time errors.

Thanks for any help!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I don't have an FT-60, but I've had good results with G4HFQ's software. g4hfq.co.uk

I have his software for FT-817,857 and 897 and it works well. Even reprogrammed the radios for the new 60 meter channels.

I also have his FT270 and FT277 and VX-3R software and it all works well.

I think the main thing is to get a good USB programming cable. That has caused me problems in the past.

WI3EMT

I'll second the cable recommendation. It makes all the difference in the world.At least you could always program through the front panel. I found the menu structure in the FT-60 to be easier for me to use rather than using the PC. I struggled for awhile when I "upgraded" to a Vertex VX-800.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
I have an FT-60R and here's another vote for G4HFQ's software - I have versions for all my Yaesu radios. It's great stuff and support is terrific as well. The FT-60R's programming on the radio is pretty easy, but managing 1000 channels is a lot easier with software.

k6cpo

When you ask for "free" software, there are trade-offs involved. A "free" program won't be as well thought out or the necessary development time put into it. Sometimes free or cheap isn't the bargain one thought it would be. The old adage "You get what you pay for" comes into play here.

I have two Yaesu HTs (including an FT-60) and three Yaesu mobiles and for all of them I use the programming software and cables from RT Systems. In my opinion, this is the best programming software out there and well worth the money I paid for it. I was fortunate in that the same cable works on both the HTs, so all I had to do was buy the software for the second HT.

I have a Baofeng UV-5RE that I program with Chirp, a free program. It works well enough, but there are lots of things one must know about the radio and the software that are not laid out in any manual or documentation. For instance, the software doesn't overwrite an existing entry in the radio. The channel must be deleted manually from the radio before new information can be entered. Again, "You get what you paid for."

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I've used the VX-6 Commander (freeware) and been very happy with it. G4HFQ doesn't write for that radio because it's not sold in the UK. On the other hand I've had problems with Freescan constantly erasing my fire tone out data whereas BC Tools + does not. I like some of the features of Freescan better. I mention this because "free" is great if it works. If it doesn't, then how much value to you put on your time messing around trying to get something to work? When you buy software you get support if you have a problem.

wa2chj

Here's something to try that ,may stop your errors using Commander.
Go to the "Transfer" Tab
Select "Use Alternate Write Method"
Follow the instructions that come up when you try to write TO THE LETTER.
It WILL give you an error, but it is an expected error, and the write will continue if you follow the rest of the instructions.
Oddly some FT-60s require this and some do not. Even the ones that do sometimes will work without it. I have no idea what causes an FT-60 to need it or not.

Hope This Helps!

dksac2

If you are just going to program it once, then if you get the free programmer figured out, you'll be fine. But, if you change frequency's somewhat often, spring for the RT programming disc and cable, it's so darn simple, fast and always works without any problems. The cost is not great and to me, time is money and the RT system is excellent. It's so easy to add or delete a frequency and change things at will, it's worth every cent.
73's John KF7VXA

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
If you are just going to program it once, then if you get the free programmer figured out, you'll be fine. But, if you change frequency's somewhat often, spring for the RT programming disc and cable, it's so darn simple, fast and always works without any problems. The cost is not great and to me, time is money and the RT system is excellent. It's so easy to add or delete a frequency and change things at will, it's worth every cent.
73's John KF7VXA

Couldn't agree more. I am not a computer nerd so don't like to waste a lot of time getting a program or cable to work. Have tried "free" software and various cables, and yes I may get them to work after numerous failures. I have not had problems with RT software for Wouxuns, Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu [haven't tried Alinco yet]. Just recently tried free Wouxun software and all this did was scramble everything. Downloaded RT for $25 and had 500 memories programmed in a quarter of the time for the free software. Have and still use RT for FT-60. Have created a number of saved frequencies with the only difference being the preferred memory scan different depending on where I am going. Just download these in about 2 minutes. And with 999 plus frequencies and band edge scanning, the RT does not require entering both a transmit and receive frequency. As with the CCR, you generally get what you pay.

N8IAA

Have owned two FT-60's and used Commander software exclusively. VX-5R on the same software. Never had a problem. On the VX-5R, it even opened up the transmit without any physical surgery.

Now, on an Icom ID-880 I owned, and the Kenwood V71A, RT software was used because of having the correct cable, and much easier to use software than the free Icom and Kenwood companies put out.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.