Yaesu: Yaesu FT-60 tones on Tx - how to turn off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

three_jeeps

Hello:
I have just received a (used) FT-60 and learning how to use it. I recently made a contact and the person at the other end said that my transmissions start out with 2-3 seconds of a tone, which cuts off my voice. I've read through the manual a few time but have not be able to figure out what this feature. Need some guidance:
1) what is this feature called?
2) how do I disable it?

This is a used radio and the person probably has it configured for operation in his area. The radio can be reset to 'defaults' but the manual does not list the default settings, so I am reluctant to do this.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
J

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's the stupid Wires thing.
To turn it off, you have to disable the Wires function. I don't recall the procedure, but theres a button on the bottom row of the keyboard (IIRC), I think it's a Function button press, and then the key.

Annoying as hell and way too easy to accidentally turn on.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The FT-60 has an "Internet Connection Feature" known as WIRES. In order to activate repeaters that were set up for WIRES, you had to transmit a specific DTMF at the beginning of each transmission. On the FT-60, that feature is turned on or off with the 0 or SET key. Look closely at that key and you'll see a symbol that looks like two planets orbiting. That's the WIRES symbol. There should also be a similar symbol in the upper right of the display to tell you that WIRES is turned on. Tap the 0/SET key to turn it off.

AK9R

Super Moderator

three_jeeps

Here's a link to a document that tells you how to disable WIRES on many Yaesu radios, including the FT-60: https://www.sbara.org/downloads/WIRES/Turning_Off_WIRES_on_Yaesu_Radios.html

BTW, WIRES is dead as far as I know. When Yaesu rolled out there own digital voice protocol, Yaesu System Fusion, they also rolled out a repeater linking system called WIRES-X.

OMG - THANK YOU! You have no idea what a pain that thing is. I now know what it is called, nice to know it is useless, and how to disable it. Yes, way to easy to turn it on.

I kept thinking it was a CTCSS function or DTMF relation. So WIRES is useless, is there equivalent functionality using another feature of the FT60?
Thanks again
J

AK9R

Super Moderator
You have no idea what a pain that thing is.
Yes, I do. I participated in an all-day public service event a few years ago. One of the other operators had WIRES turned on. Since many repeater controllers are remote-controlled using DTMF tones, those controllers mute the audio when it hears a DTMF tone so the tone doesn't get repeated on the output frequency for all to hear. If you have WIRES turned on inadvertently, the first few seconds of your audio may be muted. As a result, others keep telling you to repeat what you said. It's gets very annoying after a while.

So WIRES is useless, is there equivalent functionality using another feature of the FT60?
Not that I know of. When Yaesu came out with System Fusion and WIRES-X repeater linking, the kinda abandoned WIRES. The best you can do is find an Allstar, Echolink, or IRLP repeater if you want to use linked repeaters.

k6cpo

BTW, WIRES is dead as far as I know. When Yaesu rolled out there own digital voice protocol, Yaesu System Fusion, they also rolled out a repeater linking system called WIRES-X.

I think the original WIRES was dead right out the door. Even before WIRES-X, nobody that I knew of used WIRES. It was nothing more than an irritating feature on a lot of radio because of ease with which it was turned on. Thankfully, Yaesu buried it in the menus on later radios so it wasn't so easily activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.