Yaesu FT 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1BHH

The FT-60R is a very fine radio. I downloaded many hand held manuals and figured what I wanted and made the final choice on the FT-60R based on my experience with other radios and what features are available amongst the many radios available. My primary reasoning in purchasing a radio is for at least a dual band radio. Single band radios are so restricting. Also our club bought a few for Go Kits and many members bought them for their own use and they can easily be cloned for various operations and can be set up for specific scan lists and such. Buy one, or two, and enjoy.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Man, I've been advised also to purchase a mobile unit first, for the experience, and the handheld later as a backup. Besides my car not having any room anywhere for a radio, my wife doesn't want anything hanging around in the car, nor does she want an antanna on it. I was figuring on the FT-60R myself, ecause of it being dual band. What's a man with a ticket to do!

BonziBuddy

Was my first radio, and learned everything I needed to know to get into the hobby. You can use it as a scanner only if you choose. It's built tough and can take abuse.

Still... here are the things I don't like about it.

It doesn't stand up. Besides the fact that it's top heavy, the base isn't level with the battery compartment... It eaaaaaaasily falls over. Even the slightest shake of a table knocks it down.
The antenna kinks easily. Once it kinks, it will forever bend in that direction.
The buttons lettering starts to wear away after a while.
The glass on the front is prone to being scratched when the radio is face down. The glass isn't flat.
The annoying combination squelch knob. Always gets knocked out of it's position
Battery clip is really hard to remove. Expect to pull off a fingernail first.

The things I LOVE about it:

Works great as a public safety scanner.
The TX and RX audio is GREAT. The mic sounds way better than the mic on my FT-8900.
Built to last. Thick strong plastic... feels like the Motorola HT series radios.
It can be modded to TX outside HAM. I programmed common Marine VHF channels 6, 9, 13, 16, 69, and use it all the time on my families boat.

But don't let any of this turn you away... for the price, it is great. Dual band, long lasting, great looking. You won't be disappointed. Check the classifieds and for somebody selling it in a package deal.

N1BHH

Was my first radio, and learned everything I needed to know to get into the hobby. You can use it as a scanner only if you choose. It's built tough and can take abuse.

Still... here are the things I don't like about it.

It doesn't stand up. Besides the fact that it's top heavy, the base isn't level with the battery compartment... It eaaaaaaasily falls over. Even the slightest shake of a table knocks it down.
The antenna kinks easily. Once it kinks, it will forever bend in that direction.
The buttons lettering starts to wear away after a while.
The glass on the front is prone to being scratched when the radio is face down. The glass isn't flat.
The annoying combination squelch knob. Always gets knocked out of it's position
Battery clip is really hard to remove. Expect to pull off a fingernail first.

It stands upright for me just fine, sounds like your surface is not flat, it's standing right next to me inches away right now. It does easily fall over if you actually knock it over. A table that is not sturdy is not the proper location, I use coffee mugs to hold my radios on other than solid surfaces.

The antenna bends and retains that shape if you jam it against something that it shouldn't and leave it there way too long. I have owned mine now about 3 or 4 years and have never placed the antenna in any location where it would be caused to be bent.

Yes the print does wear off, but memorizing button labels is a must on any radio.

The glass will scratch if you take the protective cover off before it actually falls off. I have one friend who has had his still on for over a year without removal, yet mine stayed on about 6 months. I tend not to put it anyplace where it won't be scratched. If it's face down, place it on a cloth surface.

Never a problem with the knobs at all.

The battery clip is hard to remove for a reason, if it was loose the battery would fall out often. If it's hard, use a small screwdriver blade to remove it.

K

kb0nly

The FT60 is a great radio, haven't had a lick of trouble with mine in the two years+ that i have owned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.