Yaesu: Yaesu FT-60R battery voltage meas with VOM

gary777

Hi, I have a 60r that has been setting for months, I mistakenly left it turned on, at the lowest volume level. I use a SBH-13 drop in charger. I put it on the charger and after 15 minutes or so to amber light came on for a bit, indicating it was fully charger. I thought that was odd. I turned on the radio and to readout read 8.2V I took a vom and checked the voltage from 3 contacts on the back of the radio using the far right contact and far left contact, got a voltage reading of 3.8v. I have the radio charging again now and it's been an hour and still charging. My question is what should the voltage be when measuring the battery voltage at the battery contacts.

When using the SBH-13 should the amber light stay on when fully charged, or will the light turn off.

TNX KY8M

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If you have the FNB-83 battery, the voltage on the label shows 7.2 volts. This will be higher after a fresh charge if the battery is in good condition. My radio display shows a voltage of around 7.8 when I turn it on with a freshly charged battery. The contacts on the back of my battery also show 7.8 on a fresh charge using the VOM.. I use a W&W Manufacturing universal charger with adapter cups for several radios and am not familiar with the SBH-13.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You can charge the battery separately. I have several extra battery packs for various radios that I keep charged this way.