Yaesu: Yaesu FT-60R NI-MH Battery Charging Options

KK7RQX

Is there any way to charge the FT-60R stock battery without having to use the charging cradle? The owner's manual states that USA models cannot charge directly from the PA-48 AC adapter to the external DC of the FT-60R. So, what about using a DC adapter like the SDD-13 cigarette lighter plug? Would the SDD-13 charge the battery, or is it just powering the radio? Also, us the SDD-13 going to work without using the charging cradle that came with the FT-60R in the box?
I am interested in on-the-go charging of the FT-60R either in my truck's 12v cigarette lighter or using a power bank with a DC outlet/port. Seems to me that the charging cradle has to be used with any charging method, but I could be wrong. Hoping there is a way to charge the radio without the cradle.
Thoughts?

k6cpo

I might be able to shed some light on that, but my FT-60 is 12 years old and was sold before the charging cradle was included. I do know the SDD-13 will charge the battery at the same time as powering the radio. The AC charger that was included with my FT-60 is the NC-88B and it plugs directly into the radio. If the PA-48 adapter won't charge except through the cradle perhaps an NC-88B would be a solution. What's the model number on the battery you're using? I'm using the FNB-83.

KK7RQX

I might be able to shed some light on that, but my FT-60 is 12 years old and was sold before the charging cradle was included. I do know the SDD-13 will charge the battery at the same time as powering the radio. The AC charger that was included with my FT-60 is the NC-88B and it plugs directly into the radio. If the PA-48 adapter won't charge except through the cradle perhaps an NC-88B would be a solution. What's the model number on the battery you're using? I'm using the FNB-83.
Thanks for the reply. Model # on my battery is FNB-83 as well. Now, I've heard that FT-60s manufactured after 2012/2013 no longer contained the circuitry in the radio to accept direct charging through the EXT DC jack. However, your use of the NC-88B has me wondering if that's really the case, or did Yaesu just substitute the NC-88B with the PA-48 to make the radio compliant with a California law that changed the way the FT-60 was charged after 2012/2013. Best way to check is to get ahold of an NC-88B charger and try it. However, if the circuitry that allows the HT to charge from the NC-88B is removed, might that damage the radio? I have no idea. Both my FT-60s were manufactured in 2017.

k6cpo

Thanks for the reply. Model # on my battery is FNB-83 as well. Now, I've heard that FT-60s manufactured after 2012/2013 no longer contained the circuitry in the radio to accept direct charging through the EXT DC jack. However, your use of the NC-88B has me wondering if that's really the case, or did Yaesu just substitute the NC-88B with the PA-48 to make the radio compliant with a California law that changed the way the FT-60 was charged after 2012/2013. Best way to check is to get ahold of an NC-88B charger and try it. However, if the circuitry that allows the HT to charge from the NC-88B is removed, might that damage the radio? I have no idea. Both my FT-60s were manufactured in 2017.
I have absolutely no idea if using the older charger might damage your radio. I would suggest either an e-mail or phone call to Yaesu in Cypress, CA. They might be able to give you better information than I can.

KK7RQX

I have absolutely no idea if using the older charger might damage your radio. I would suggest either an e-mail or phone call to Yaesu in Cypress, CA. They might be able to give you better information than I can.
Had a conversation with Yaesu today about this issue. From the man himself; The NC-88B wall charger will not work with FT-60R radios manufactured after 2012. Yaesu removed the hardware inside the radio that allowed it to charge that way. He confirmed there is no way to charge the battery without the charging cradle. He did say you could use a battery eliminator to power the radio from a 12v DC outlet. He also said Yaesu had decided years ago to not manufacture Li-ION batteries for the FT-60R.

k6cpo

Had a conversation with Yaesu today about this issue. From the man himself; The NC-88B wall charger will not work with FT-60R radios manufactured after 2012. Yaesu removed the hardware inside the radio that allowed it to charge that way. He confirmed there is no way to charge the battery without the charging cradle. He did say you could use a battery eliminator to power the radio from a 12v DC outlet. He also said Yaesu had decided years ago to not manufacture Li-ION batteries for the FT-60
There are Lithium Ion batteries available for the FT-60, but I would recommend buying the proper charger if you choose to go this way.